Help: Stability issues

robschoemaker

Hi all,

Just received my Pineapple last Friday. I tried to play with it but unfortunately it is very unstable (even if I don't run anything). Basically the device consistently freezes after about 5 to 10 minutes of use. I just upgraded to version 2.0.4 of the firmware (so I suppose that means that all settings are back to default?) but still the issue persists.

I access the Pineapple via its built-in access point. (wlan0). I am able to click around for a few minutes and than the pineapple freezes (sometimes I get this "entropy bunny working" screen and sometimes it just freezes).

Same happens when I ssh into it. I am able to play around for a few minutes and then everything just freezes. Funny thing is that the blue LED is still blinking as if there is activity. However, the Wifi connection is dead and I am not able to connect to it anymore.

BTW: I replaced the factory supplied SD card with a 8 Gb Class 10 card and formatted it using the Pineapple interface.

Any thoughts? (or did I just have bad luck and is it a dud? - Hope not, since I'm in Europe and replacing it will be a little complicated :-()

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards Rob

How are you powering the unit? Do you have another 12v 2+ amp transformer sitting around that you could barrow/troubleshoot with?

Do you have anything plugged into/added to the pineapple physically or is it stock?

Ethernet connected?

Ok, I have some additional information. Seems that the Pineapple is not really freezing, but that there is a problem with the radio (?). If I move really close to the Pineapple (i.e. within 1 meter), the connection is picked up again. If I move away very slowly, the connection remains sort of stable, but I can only move about 3 or 4 meters before it loses the connection again (no barries between my PC and the Pineapple).

Tomorrow I will see if switching to another channel helps, maybe it's a matter of interference (?)

Any other thoughts?

Regards Rob

Very well could be interference do you live in a high population area with millions of access points around? Or possibly in a microwave factory?

@newbi3 ? Why was that needed ?

As to the antenna: i used the stock antennas that came with the pineapple.

Any other suggestions?

Wasn't trying to be rude just trying to get an idea of whats around you. If you live in a high populated area like New York city where everyone and their mother live in a close area together with their access points interference could be a real issue. The microwave factory question was me asking what is around you that could be causing the interference

Sounds to me like its an issue with your radio then you tried connecting with a cable and you stayed connected correct? Can you see your pineapples SSID from a distance away?