New Problem, Windows detects thumbdrive, but can't see it.

calking

Ok here's the fully explained problem. I plugged in my thumbdrive and Windows made the usual beep noise and placed the "safely remove devices" icon in the system tray. What didn't happen was the normal autorun and the addition of the device in the My Computer listing. Even after refreshing My Computer, it still wouldn't appear.

I tried logging into another account and it worked there. The only difference is that the other account had Admin rights on the network whereas mine was a standard user. Although this is the only machine on the network to have this problem (it works fine on the others).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I tried that but active directory permissions kicked in so I couldn't access it. I could try the admin account but the thumbdrive is recognized and displays the thumbdrive like nothing's wrong with it. So i doubt that would work.

Make the account a temporary admin and don't let any body else use the account until you fix the problem? (Don't you just love how you can only fix these problems that windows caused as an administrator, but they only effect limited user acounts?)

Does the machine that you are having issues with have any mapped drives that reconnect on logon?

I have had an issue with that for certain users on my network at work. I had to go into disk management to assign another drive letter the the USB device because Windows was trying to double up devices on a single drive letter.

Try running: runas /env /user:administrator control and getting to the disk management that way. You shouldn't have any problems, in theory :)

runas can be a bit of a pain sometimes though, so if you can't get control panel up that way, run runas /env /user:administrator cmd and then in the command prompt that appears run compmgmt.msc :)

check disk management and see if it is there. I had a customer bring her 250 gb external maxtor drive in the other day with the same problem. Well maxtor shipped their drive out without a file table written to it, so see if the disk is formatted. If not then you need to format it. Worked for this woman and she was away and happy in about 15 minutes.