Installation kali linux on external hard drive on macbook pro

lucio

Hey. every one, i have some question that i have a Lacie 1Tb hard drive. i want to install kali linux and ubuntu on external hard drive. i partition my external hard drive but i can't install kali linux and ubuntu on it. i am a new mac user. i can't using macbook pro and my Lacie external hard drive to install kali linux and ubuntu. can every one can give me a favor help me. Pls

So, in a nutshell, you've got a mac that you don't know how to use. You have this idea that you want to use both Kali and Ubuntu, which you also don't know how to use. That's 3 OSes you apparently have an interest in, without actually having any knowledge on the subject. What did you do, steal the mac? People tend to get a mac because they either *know* Macs or love Macs. Since in your case neither appears to be the case, perhaps you should explain yourself just a little bit more than this.

So where in the process of installing there do you strand? What steps are you taking and which make you worry enough about doing the right thing that you stop and ask for help here?

I'm guessing you're hoping to find a destination drive explicitly labeled as the external drive. That'll almost certainly never happen. What might happen is that when you say install, it asks you to either prepare or specify the drive on which to install, specified as something like /dev/sda or /dev/sda1 or something like that. Something starting with /dev/sd followed by a letter and possibly a number. When you external HD was detected the letter is probably the one furthest down the alfabet, assuming you're shown a list. If you only get to see as many drives as your system has internally, your external HD apparently wasn't detected. This might be because of the connector between the machine and the drive. I'm pretty certain USB is supported by anything on the planet. Firewire possibly less but should still be supported by most. The lightning port I really can't say.

So assuming the machine doesn't list the drive, try attaching it using USB or Firewire if either of those options are available.

The language barrier isn't helping here, but I think the answer is yes: You should be able to say "Install to drive /dev/sdX", where sdX is the name of your external HD.

You really should be using the Kali linux forums for this. It's kinda why they exist.

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?22126-Hardware-List-Apple-OSX-EFI-amp-Kali-Linux

Installing anything other than MacOS on a Mac can be kind of a pain in the ass. Apple has made installing Windows pretty straight forward, but linux can be iffy.