How do you like your Pineapple configured?

WiFi Cowboy

I have mine set up as follows:

wlan0 <---set up as open AP for clients to connect to.

wlan1 <---for deauthing peeps.

wlan2 <---ALFA AWUS036NEH from HAK5 that I use to connect to internet for improved throughput.

wlan3 <---ALFA AWUS036NHA I use this as a second AP but secured with WPA2. The reason is when I'm accessing the web GUI with my phone, this provides a secure connection (if you use an open AP to access the web GUI, the password can be seen in plain text with wireshark).

This all is still pretty compact. I milled the slot off of the back of an ALFA holster and attached it to the back of the Pineapple so the NHA is easily removable. I bought a small, USB splitter that rotates of Amazon and a short little cable to keep it all compact. This setup works quite well.

I also have an ALFA Rabbit (not sure if it's a genuine ALFA product but it DOES work great) that I was using just for testing. It ran all of this without issue using the wall wart.

porcupineapple_zps4e2b675b.jpg

Edited by WiFi Cowboy

• 3 weeks later...

bearda,

Yes, I have had multiple wifi adapters hooked up to the Pineapple through a bus powered USB hub with no problems (unless you try to use wlan1 as the client for wifi, you'll get a re-boot issue (bug submitted)).

daniboy92,

No prob. :wink: cheers!

tone,

I ran several speed tests to test it and here are my results (AWUS036NEH (wlan2) as client in all tests):

Pineapple LAN to my Kali Laptop:

*just over 30Mbps peak download, 18Mbps sustained.

*3.25Mbps upload.

Pineapple wlan0 to my Nexus 5:

*just over 5Mbps peak and sustained.

*3.25Mbps upload.

Pineapple + AWUS036NHA (wlan3) to my Nexus 5:

*10.5Mbps peak and sustained.

*3.15Mbps upload.

NOTE: wlan0 = channel 8, wlan2 = channel 1, wlan3 = channel 4. So there is going to be some (but not a lot) channel overlap to take into consideration.

Here is the USB hub/splitter that I'm using...

USBhub_zpsf8c2fb2f.jpg

Edited by WiFi Cowboy

bearda,

Yes, I have had multiple wifi adapters hooked up to the Pineapple through a bus powered USB hub with no problems (unless you try to use wlan1 as the client for wifi, you'll get a re-boot issue (bug submitted)).

Its not a bug you are just using more power than what you have and it can't stay on anymore

That was my initial thought as well, but I did some testing and had no trouble running two external Wi-Fi adaptors and wlan0 together with wlan1 for packet injection (this is my normal configuration).

The toxic combination that was causing my Pineapple to reboot was wlan1 getting internet as client + an external Wi-Fi adaptor acting as an access point (even just one external adaptor). Even a small amount of bandwidth usage would eventually cause a crash with this combo.

I spent some time testing the issue last night with a powered USB hub and the re-booting does still happen (although, it seems to allow a little more through-put before it re-boots).

Worth mentioning however, I did observe different behavior from the powered hub vs the non-powered. With the powered hub the Pineapple wouldn't always reboot but instead the wlan1 interface would freeze and become useless until you manually reboot the Pineapple (I was able to get it back one time by restarting the wireless interfaces).

All of my testing was done from the web GUI for the sake of simplicity. I'm going to try testing this some more and get more in depth with it when I get some time off.

I know it's prolly not worth using wlan1 as a client anyway, but I'm just trying to learn from it.

Edited by WiFi Cowboy

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my Pineapple Mark V setup..

wlan0 - Open AP

wlan1 - Deauth

wlan2 - Deauth - AWUS036NEH

wlan3 - Deauth - AWUS036NEH

wlan4 - Internet connection - AWUS036NEH

I plan on integrating my USB GPS.. As soon as I find it.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

post-48566-0-50321800-1412729290_thumb.j

post-48566-0-38097900-1412729291_thumb.j

post-48566-0-13486500-1412729293_thumb.j