I'm gonna get GNURadio-Companion working if it kills me!

I've spent days trying to get gnuradio-companion to work.

On a fresh Ubuntu install I did an "sudo apt-get install gnuradio"

I then type "gnuradio-companion" I get the gnuradio-companion gui up just fine. However in all the videos I've seen the 1st block you choose is "SOURCE" then choose eithr RTL-SDR or OSMOCOM as that is what is needed to talk to your RTL-SDR dongle.

However there is not block called SOURCE.

What didn't I do or install?

Thanks

George

www.MilAirComms.com

I had that problem I believe the version on depository for ubuntu is missing stuff usable for RTL-SDR, I did get it to work by some other install, search for GNU Radio and ubuntu and you will probably find the instructions. I will look for the install list I found for ubuntu 12.04 and will post when I find it ( I hope)

Edited by dougggg

This morning I did get it to work.

Actually the total number of steps isn't a lot, even when you compile for source. The real problem is that all the only installation instructions are written assuming you are both an A+ Linux expert AND a GNU expert who has written most of the code.

I tried 7 or 8 how-to guides to get GNC w/RTL support, all of which failed. It took a ton of trial-and-error to get it to work, but now I got it...

When I get a change I'll write up a simpler How-To

George

www.MilAirComms.com

{phew..} I'm not the only one. You should try installing GNU SDR on Winderz, it's way worse... those Windows compiled binaries they talk about come with a huge disclaimer and they aren't kidding. Now I'm working on building up a virtualization so I can run both so I can avoid the restrictions and limitations between both. Ugh. Anybody got a rusty spoon I can gouge my eyes out with?

I just wonder how many people tired to use GNU and gave up...I almost did and I Live, Sleep, & Drink radio stuff all day! (here is my "office": http://www.milaircomms.com/shack.html

But after several days of trial & error and many times where I reinstalled Ubuntu in order to have a totally fresh system to work from I had success!

I typed up a step by step list of each command you need to type assuming you have a freshly installed Ubuntu system, I posted it to another message, here is the link:

https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/33506-easy-way-to-install-from-source-gnuradio-rtl-source-blocks/

I wish you luck

George

www.MilAirComms.com

I moved from a Debian based OS to Kali(I know, still Debian based but had Gqrx pre-installed) over to Manjaro(Arch based) because it was a total PITA trying to get Gqrx(my SDR-RTL program of choice) running on the Debian based OS(Point Linux 2.3) that I was using.

With Manjaro they have Gqrx in their Community Repo and I can also hit up the AUR and download an even newer version of Gqrx if I feel like it.

Sometimes you need to just move to a Distro that'll give you more support for the programs that you want to use rather then fight with the Distro that you are currently using. JMHO, YMMV.