Compiling GNURadio on Lubuntu

I've been trying to compile GNU on an old computer (8 years old!) which is running Lubuntu

However when it gets about 30% done it stops with the following error:

"g++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)"

On my Ubuntu machine I don't get this error.

What might I be missing on Lubuntu (which is a waterdown version of Ubuntu to run on less powerful pc's).

Thanks

George - Daytona Beach

www.MilAirComms.com

Wow. Your compiler *itself* borked on the source package.

I see two possible solutions:

1. Make sure you have sufficient memory, by which I mean the combined size of ram and swap - doesn't matter if you don't have a lot of one of them so long as the total is big enough. Your kernel might have detected an out of memory situation and decided to kill the offending process. Check your logs as the kernel would report having done so. The definition of "big enough" depends highly on what you're compiling, but a gig free should suffice in all but the rarest situations *cough*LibreOffice*cough*. Sorry about that. I have a cold.

2. If it's not the previous item, your compiler itself is broken and you should consider reinstalling or upgrading it, whichever you consider more appropriate.

Don't laugh but that computer only has 512 M of memory. I said it was an old computer...it had XP on it, I tried installing Ubuntu which install fine but ran very slow. So that's why I installed Lubuntu on it. Actually it runs Lubuntu very nicely..I was just trying to find a use for that machine.... but you might be correct on the ram problem with the compiler...

Back to compiling on one of my real computers....just here in mission control listening to E-3B AWACS controlling F-15 fighers during dog fight off my coast....

Thanks

George

www.MilAirComms.com

I was expecting as much, given the description. Note that, in a pinch, you can always create a swap file (as opposed to partition) for some additional headroom. It'll be slightly slower than a swap partition due to file fragmentation, but not that much slower and it might just help you get the job done.