A problem with airodump-ng - "not associated" BSSID

stas4000

Hi everyone, i use Kali linux 64-bit on a VMware, i have this problem with airodump-ng, when i pass this line

airodumo-ng mon0

i get all the wireless networks around me and everything works fine, but in the bottom section i get something like this

BSSID             STATION              PwR             Rate         Lost         Frames       Probe

(not associated)  D0:21:BE:3D:27:F7      something       something     something     something    something

The problem is that because of that when i search a specific wireless network with the line airodump-ng -c 1 --bssid xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -w test mon0 i don't get any results in the bottom section (bssid, station, etc..)

so i started googling this issue and started figure it out, so someone suggested to change the MAC address, it didn't work for me, then i got the idea that my wireless card drivers aren't installed properly but i

encountered a problem while i was compiling the driver, so i'm lost and i don't know what to do anymore ..

here is some information:

PWR i get of the closest wireless network (mine) is -74

My wireless card is TP-link TL-WN821N

I ran an update for Kali linux

Thank you.

i got the idea that my wireless card drivers aren't installed properly but i encountered a problem while i was compiling the driver

What gave you that idea, and what problems did you specifically encounter trying to compile the driver?

Well Cooper, while i was searching google i've seen some responses from guys with the same problem, and some of them say the problem is the that the wireless card isn't updated, besides that, that kind of makes sense .. because why else

the listening for wireless networks won't work properly ...

And the problems i get when i compile looks something like that

make: *** [modules] Error 2 

When i investigated a little deeper i discovered that most likely the problem is with the kernel headers or my GCC

so i'm lost here ..

If you get an error from make then the compile stops and what you were trying to compile never finishes, that means the drivers you are using are not the ones you tried to compile, you'll be using the stock ones that come with your distro I'd guess.

Do you know if there are any clients associated with the BSSID you are filtering on?

To get the _real_ error of a kernel compile (like, what file, what line, what problem. You know.... the useful bits) run "V=1 make modules".

And I'm assuming you are aware you shouldn't need to perform an explicit 'make modules' anymore? Simply running 'make' will include making the modules for you.

Try first running 'make clean' then simply 'make' and if that errors out, run 'V=1 make'. Then report back what the error is (and yes, that'll be quite a bit more than 1 line of output).