MOD IDEAS>?

killzone

Hey all. I got tons of misc. parts laying around, and have no idea what to do with them.

They include:

-a few IDE to firewire and or USB converters(dont actually know what they are called) but are scavaanged from external drives.

-20, 40, and 4 gig HD's

-a couple flat screen monitors

-old radeon 128mb agp gpu

-2X 512 DDR RAM

-2X 128 RAM

-2X 256 RAM

-2 psu's, dont remember the wattage off hand (maybe 120's or more)

-tons of LED's, Switchs, and crap like that

-a couple of diffrent case options that can take a 17cmX19cm or less mobo including custom made projects that are no longer assembled.

-a P4 ( < 2.4 ghz) socket 478(?)(or 475?)

-tons of fans

-16X DVD-R drive (IDE)

-maybe a few network cards....not sure on that though

- bunch of other misc electronic crap

-and a limited budget (lol)

***ANY IDEAS WELCOME***

-right now i am fresh out, and would love to get busy building another project, especially one that is community driven.

-a few IDE to firewire and or USB converters(dont actually know what they are called) but are scavaanged from external drives.

-20, 40, and 4 gig HD's

External raid. Partition the drives off into equal parts, and do software raid over the lot of it. Don't use it for anything serious, as typically a single part failure can be recovered, but if you have multiple parts on 1 disk you're fucked when that disk dies.
-a couple flat screen monitors
Multi-screen setup.
-old radeon 128mb agp gpu

-a P4 ( < 2.4 ghz) socket 478(?)(or 475?)

-2X 512 DDR RAM

-16X DVD-R drive (IDE)

-a couple of diffrent case options that can take a 17cmX19cm or less mobo including custom made projects that are no longer assembled.

Find a cheap MoBo that will house this, build a new old computer and give it away to someone you like but who for whatever reason is unable to get a decent machine for him/herself. I normally hand these things down within the family tree.
-2X 128 RAM

-2X 256 RAM

Auction them off on eBay. You should be able to get a fair price on them as they might be starting to become hard to get (no idea to be honest).
-2 psu's, dont remember the wattage off hand (maybe 120's or more)
Um. 120 Volts I would presume. 120 Watt means Mini-ITX or less. Keep around as spares.
-tons of LED's, Switchs, and crap like that
Just go play.
-tons of fans
Wait for summer
-maybe a few network cards....not sure on that though
Keep around as spares.

I know, not particularly projects, these. But it seems like the sensible thing to do with this stuff.

I already got a multi screen setup for development on a windows box and as for building a computer for a family member/friend, i dont have any who are in need of one or dont own something better.

I like the idea of the software raid, but i dont have any use for it really, not with the NFS (props to cooper) and servers that already exhist on my home-network. but a great idea none the less.

And my appt. has AC so i dont need the fans for that (LOL).

I am really looking for an all encompasing project.

thanks for the ideas though

couple of things

make a nas(network attached storage)

with a tv tuner, and maybe a better gfx card you could make a media center machine

create a portable storage device by taking a minipsu, the hdd's, and the ide-usb converters. Make it glow for activity(not sure how) and hold it together with electric tape

create a server

create a very powerful router/weak computer

more coming later

make a computer out of it and allocate it to the great causes that hak5 usuers currently support, or use it to test some hacks, and practice a few attacks

sell it off on ebay and buy a cheap laptop

Just find some fosterparants or a scouting club in your barrio and hand this down to them.

Or give al that stuf to the Hack5 boys (Wess Tobler, Darren Kitchen and Alli Buehring) so the can use it for program projects or give some of it up as a give a way price on one iof there questions in the shows.

:wink:

Gerard

I've already done a few neat externeal storage/media devices, but another one might be cool. I actually built a NAS as soon as that episode (thanks HAck.5 team) was released, but decided an NFS was what i actually wanted, so i went with that instead. I already have a Linux Server, and a couple of routers to manage, so awsome idea but right now having another sever is pointless.

The media center is a great idea....but i just went out and bought a new HP media center (replace the last one i built that got fried, FRIED = BEER + MOBO;) with a core duo (the 5000 whatever model) and a 512 radeon(PCI EXPRESS) with crosfire.....something pro i cant remeber. And a few other goodies (20 in wide screen plasma :) )

I like the Idea for the practice box, but i usually just run a virtual configuration on the machine with the NFS on it.

though maybe media center for my car isnt a bad idea....

thanks for the suggestions! Keep em comming.

put a cool switch on the front of your case to change the master hard drive when you restart so you can use different OSs with a switch.

That's a good idea. Do you have a clue on how to do it. I want to try that...

I believe K_rose demonstrated it once, try 'hdd switch kevin rose'...

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas. I think im going to build another computer. But im going to dedicate it to the protien folding, and maybe a tor server.

Im definately going to put two hd's on a switch so in one position you can boot to one O's and the other to another O's. then have a third that houses a filesystem to be used by both Os's. Though unpratical I find the almost mechanical switching cool.

One last thing though, I have a few mobo's in mind. but if anyone knows of a great mobo that is under $100 with a socket for a P4 adn 533bus just post it and ill check it out.