Run Dropbox app/service under different (uid), while in current session ?

knuckleup

So im testing the Dropbox app on Xubuntu:

Within the Dropbox folder is a encrypted TrueCrypt volume, for backups.{yes, i know it only syncs to cloud when unmounted}

Is it possible to run it under a different user name(uid)non-administrator, while in a current session?{ due to X11 security issues}

Can this "start-stop-daemon" i heard of do this,or something else?...is there a GUI for it?

If the above can be done, the idea is to then restrict access to that shared folder using (ACLs) via "Eiciel".

Don't understand what you are trying to do, what is the problem you are trying to solve?

The only answer I can give on current information is to look at sudo or su to allow you to run apps as alternative users.

Is it possible to run Dropbox simultaneously under a different user name(uid)non-administrator, while in a current session?{ due to X11 security issues= password sniffing!}

User-1(Tod), uid 1000, (this is the main desktop,current session).

User-2(David)[non-administrator], uid 1001, (to isolate app from main desktop).

They share restricted permission the "/Dropbox" folder.

At a later point i will further lock-down Dropbox app,under uid 1001, with Apparmor profile.

Yes, look how sudo works. You can set it up so that Tod (who I hope is also not an administrator) can run commands (or a single one) as David. You'd need to edit the /etc/sudoers file to allow this then use

sudo -u David dropbox

That would start dropbox as the David user.

What are the X11 security issues you are talking about?