im buying a raspberry pi.

i8igmac

in a few days now I will commit, spend the money and receive a device.

Raspberry pi b+ seems to be the way to go. I wish it had a built in wifi. any advice here? Other products to browse?

at the moment its purpose would be a little pentest machine.

my fear is that I will receive the device, install kali and run into nothing but problems. Everything should work out of the box?

plugin a alfa card and I will be up and running?

Look at the Beaglebone Black aswell. Similar concept but a rather more powerful processor on board.

If you've got money to burn you could go for an Odroid but those are more expensive still.

Sorry to say bro, You might run into problems.

It was something about the kernel in kali wasn't made for Raspberry B+ since it's a bit different from the standard Raspberry B model.
But don't worry too much, I'm pretty sure it's only a matter of weeks before a new ISO gets made especially for the B+ model.

Try reading some of this:

link1
link2

Update to my first message in this thread.

Consider the following boards aswell. As you go down the list they become more powerful and more expensive.

Raspberry Pi B+ (512MB, single-core ARM11 @ 700 MHz)

A10S-OLinuXino-MICRO (512MB, single-core Cortex-A8 @ 1 GHz)

Beaglebone Black (512MB, single-core Cortex-A8 @ 1 GHz)

Cubieboard (1GB, single-core Cortex-A8 @ 1 GHz)

pcDuino3 (1GB, dual-core A7 @ 1 GHz)

Cubieboard2 (1GB, dual-core A7 @ 1 GHz)

Hummingbird (1GB, dual-core A7 @ 1 GHz)

A20-OLinuXino-MICRO (1GB, dual-core A7 @ 1 GHz)

WandBoard Solo (512MB, single-core A9 @ 1 GHz)

PandaBoard (1GB, dual-core A9 @ 1.2 GHz)

WandBoard Dual (1GB, dual-core A9 @ 1.2 GHz)

MarsBoard (1GB, dual-core A9 @ 1.6 GHz)

WandBoard Quad (2GB, quad-core A9 @ 1.2 GHz)

Odroid U3+ (4GB, quad-core A9 @ 1.7 GHz)

Note that the ARM naming convention is about as braindead as they come.

ARM11 uses the ARMv6 instruction set support of which was being dropped throughout until the Pi came along.

The other cores mentioned all use the ARMv7 instruction set. Of them, the Cortex-A8 came first. Then came the A9 which improves the design and allows for more cores. Then came the A7 which was a simplification and a die shrink as the A9's are typically made at 40nm process whereas the A7s are at 28nm however because of the simplification in the A7 a number of performance features of the A9 were dropped, the end result of which is that clock-for-clock the A9s are faster than the A7s. Modern and frankly rather more expensive boards employ the big.LITTLE thing where they combine a number of A7s with a similar number of A15s. The A15 core is a true performer at the cost of power draw, which is why the A7 cores start to make some sense again - they dropped performance since if you want speed you should run it on the A15. If you want low(er) power consumption, stick with the A7.

Note that that talk about power consumption is all relative anyways. My quad-core A9 Odroid U2 draws about 6 watts when all 4 cores are loaded to the max. Eat your heart out, Intel.

Edited by Cooper

My quad-core A9 Odroid U2 draws about 6 watts when all 4 cores are loaded to the max. Eat your heart out, Intel.

I'm looking to spend 40-50$

I checked kali forum and the devs are working on bugs for pi b+...

Would u avoid arm?

512ram maybe be painful...

Always looking for more bang for the buck...

I'm looking to spend 40-50$

I checked kali forum and the devs are working on bugs for pi b+...

Would u avoid arm?

512ram maybe be painful...

Always looking for more bang for the buck...

Well, you can get a pcDuino v1 lite wifi for $30. That uses the AllWinner A10 which is a single-core Cortex-A8 @ 1GHz with 256 MB ram. On that same site you can get the regular pcDuino v1 for $50 which pairs that same CPU with 1 GB of RAM.

The Cubieboard2 base kit can be had for $52 and it uses an AllWinner A20 which is a dual-core Cortex-A7 @ 1GHz with 1GB of ram. That same processor paired with 512 MB ram is on the A20-OlinuXino-LIME for $43.

I would most certainly NOT avoid ARM. It's a very capable type of processor who up until recently aimed solely for cheap processors with rediculously low power draw. If you want an easy to carry yet powerful device for not a lot of money, ARM's really your only way to go. As far as memory goes, it boils down to just what you intend to do with it. The Pineapple MkV for instance is a 400MHz CPU with 64 megs of RAM. People seem to manage to get a lot out of that package regardless. You won't be replacing your laptop or desktop (whichever may apply) with one of these but that still leaves a lot of ground that machines like these are very capable of covering.