Pineapple Broken - Flashing lights on boot

I tried updating to 2.0.2 today on my Pineapple. Everything went through fine, but no matter how many times I reboot it, it always does the fireworks thing with the lights. I can't connect to it at all. I've tried following the unbricking guide. I've tried it with Ethernet plugged in and not plugged in.

Am I screwed, or is there a way to fix it?

EDIT: I wasn't following the instructions correctly.

Edited by TheHackerNextDoor

Dip switches are set to normal? No Pineapple Access Point is being broadcast that you can connect to? I know it says not to but I always flash over wireless, never had an issue...

Dip switches are set to normal? No Pineapple Access Point is being broadcast that you can connect to? I know it says not to but I always flash over wireless, never had an issue...

I always flash over wireless too, but since it wipes everything (not on the SD card), I also always need the Ethernet to get back in.

I always flash over wireless too, but since it wipes everything (not on the SD card), I also always need the Ethernet to get back in.

So you connected an Ethernet cable from your pineapple to your computer (laptop?) (linux/windows/OSX?), followed the "Connection Setup" instructions that came with your pineapple, and browsed to: http://172.16.42.1:1471/

Is that correct? What do you mean "with Ethernet plugged in and not plugged in?"

Sorry guys. It was just me being an idiot.

Everything's working now!

Sorry guys. It was just me being an idiot.

Everything's working now!

i face these days myself sometimes.

Oh, and to make things a little easier, I also save a copy of /etc/config/autossh to /sd//etc/config/autossh and /root/.ssh/* to /sd/root/.ssh for quick restoration following a reflash. I also use the Backup feature of the "Wifimanager infusion" to save various configurations for easy changes and restores.

That's not how that works... When you flash over wifi it just reverts the access point name back to the default one. When you see you have dropped off the AP name that you originally had set just start looking for the default one and connect... Configure from there as normal. I can honestly say I've never used the Eth port for any flashing activity.

That's not how that works... When you flash over wifi it just reverts the access point name back to the default one. When you see you have dropped off the AP name that you originally had set just start looking for the default one and connect... Configure from there as normal. I can honestly say I've never used the Eth port for any flashing activity.

I prefer to flash via WinSCP and SSH I haven't figured out how to flash over Ethernet yet :D

Lol I can't tell if you're serious or joking....

Not sure if you're talking to me or someone else cause you didn't quote anyone. if you're talking to me yes, that's how how i do it.

Yes it was you Zarabyte... You don't use the over the air feature for firmware updates? You go get the file and manually do it? That's hard core right there... :)

Because you're less likely to have problems that's how i feel about it. I was always told NEVER flash over WiFi.

Because you're less likely to have problems that's how i feel about it. I was always told NEVER flash over WiFi.

Ditto. If you want reliability (and when you flash a piece of hardware, you kinda sorta really DO want reliability) you use a hard line.

Cooper,

It's not that I don't understand, I'm just not as worried about it with the recoverability options built into the Mark 5. What I was trying to point out to ZaraByte is that he is doing something via WinSCP and SSH that is very easily and stably accomplished with an Ethernet cable using the same "over the air" update option built into the firmware. He shouldn't have to download the files and manually do the updates... I happen to use the "over the air" option over WiFi, and have never had an issue.

Cooper,

It's not that I don't understand, I'm just not as worried about it with the recoverability options built into the Mark 5. What I was trying to point out to ZaraByte is that he is doing something via WinSCP and SSH that is very easily and stably accomplished with an Ethernet cable using the same "over the air" update option built into the firmware. He shouldn't have to download the files and manually do the updates... I happen to use the "over the air" option over WiFi, and have never had an issue.

This is my reason for doing it the way i do...

Start with screen shot then i will explain.

3oWUhwz.png

Okay you see that screen shot i got that far before something happen to my wireless interface going down and i went to see under the Client Mode showed i was no longer connected to the AP wlan0 wlan1 both enabled under Client Mode tried to refresh SSID list no luck something happen to the wireless interface when downloading the flash.

I prefer to do it the hard way plus this gives people another option to use when it comes to flashing if they are having a problem like i am flashing over the air.

I have not figured out how to flash over Ethernet yet i never had any luck connecting my MKV to my home router and getting internet to work. Sounds like i'd need to make changes to DHCP which in my view is a pain.

EDIT: come to think of it now the flashing over Ethernet that screen shot is talking about im pretty sure is like the way i've been doing it. You download the latest firmware on your computer ssh into the MK5 and the scp into it and upload the firmware then flash.

Edited by ZaraByte

Flash over ethernet was a no-brainer for me. The pineapple got its IP from the router via DHCP, I connect to the webserver, perform the steps to get it to upgrade and eventually the website refreshes again and things are as they should be. Gotta hand it to Seb, this was all done as smooth as one could possibly imagine.

EDIT: come to think of it now the flashing over Ethernet that screen shot is talking about im pretty sure is like the way i've been doing it. You download the latest firmware on your computer ssh into the MK5 and the scp into it and upload the firmware then flash.

No, what that page is recommending is doing what you see right there from that page but over Ethernet cable and not over wifi... The term "Over the Air Upgrade" just means over the internet without you needing to download the file first and initiate it like we used to do with older router firmware. More smooth than the DD-WRT days...

Then not all MK5's are created equally then because i've connected Ethernet from my home router to the MK5 MK5 shows up under the connected status for my WRT54G router but the pineapple has no internet i've tried connecting to the MK5 via WiFi on a tablet to see if i can get internet off my router via the MK5 can't reach the internet from the MK5 over WiFi with the MK5 connected to my router at home.

Next i need to reflash i'll give it another go right now i've setup a honeypot to see if anybody on my block takes the bait and connects to it over the next couple of days. Plus im making sure the MK5 has good uptime nothing crashing wireless able to stay up and what not.

thrillscience,

I think you've missed something... http://172.16.42.1:1471 is the management page for the pineapple and that is well published. If you are seeing http://192.168.1.1 that is for the recovery page after setting the dip switches to activate that mode. Usually people get there when following the Unbriking guide...