Pineapples and TSA

rottingsun

I was in Germany and the airport in Brussels last week. No worries even internationally. I fly quite a bit and no one ever even asks about it. I keep it with me in my carry on.

Anyone have any experience with carrying a MK5 through TSA? Are they trained to identify and confiscate them now, or can I get away with saying that the plain black device with 2 antennas is my "mobile router"?

I was actually wondering this myself the other day. I'd personally be worried that they would misidentify it as a bomb or something.

It's a legal, certified device. Nothing to worry about. Just make sure that it's legal to own one in the country you are traveling to.

If we ship there, it's fine to travel with it in your luggage. Of you are truly worried, just put it into your checked luggage.

Best regards,

Sebkinne

Same reason why they believed Kevin Mitnick could whistle into a phone and launch nukes. Because some of them are uneducated.

I get to try tomorrow, 3 mark v's and 2 batteries.

I also need to carry, a netbook, a couple of laptops, iPad and Mac mini.

This is going to be fun, I just cannot afford to check any of it in. Things tend to dissapear from checked in baggage, sometimes.

It's all going to be carry on, multiple flight connections.

I'll check in and let everyone know how it goes.

Wish me luck.

If anyone has any suggestions to make the trip smooth and uneventful, feel free to post here.

Thanks.

I've flown with multiple laptops and other electronics gear. They're pretty used to seeing this kind of stuff. It's the bodged together hacks that make them nervous. I've flown with this, and once I told them it's just a computer they were cool with it.

CRW_2764.jpg

Edited by barry99705

I always travel with only 2 bags, both of which I usually carry onto the plane (I don't like checking because of chances for lost luggage or theft). One is a small brown leather bag containing all of my clothes, and the other is my laptop backpack. That's the main reason I was asking the question really - if the overlords at the x-ray machine will make a fuss over a pineapple.

Well I got stopped once with a mac mini in checked baggage but after the saw the apple logo there was no problem.

Gee, that's an easy way to get around isn't it? Just stick Apple logos on everything.

I always travel with only 2 bags, both of which I usually carry onto the plane (I don't like checking because of chances for lost luggage or theft). One is a small brown leather bag containing all of my clothes, and the other is my laptop backpack. That's the main reason I was asking the question really - if the overlords at the x-ray machine will make a fuss over a pineapple.

I've had chainmail shirts go through the x-ray machine, they didn't seem to worry about that either. I don't think you're going to hurt the x-ray machine.

I've had chainmail shirts go through the x-ray machine, they didn't seem to worry about that either. I don't think you're going to hurt the x-ray machine.

I had a bag full of change in my backpack when flying once, apparently it was enough that they couldn't see through it. Instead of asking me what could be in there, they decided to hold up the line about 10 minutes while they continued to run it through over and over again.

I had a bag full of change in my backpack when flying once, apparently it was enough that they couldn't see through it. Instead of asking me what could be in there, they decided to hold up the line about 10 minutes while they continued to run it through over and over again.

Yea, my bag always makes them do that, then I usually hear "Bag check!" They root through it for a couple minutes while I put my shoes back on, and hand it to me. I did find they get pissy when I point out stuff they didn't look at....

Here are 4 easy to follow steps to get a Mk 5 Pineapple WiFi safely home and through a US TSA screening...

1. Remove the antennas - put them in some compartment other than where you put the appliance

2. Remove any cables - put them with your other cords/cables as they all look the same

3. Remove the MicroSD memory card - put it in a safe place, I put mine in my wallet

4. Pack the appliance with all your other dongles and 4TB hard drives and accessories

If they specifically pull it out and ask you what it is (which I highly doubt), it is your "wireless access device".

It conforms to the rules and is not on the list of restricted travel items. The rest of the steps and just handy ideas.

I'm A List on Southwest, Gold on United and I frequently get TSA Precheck, but not everytime.

I travel with a laptop, iPad, Cell phone, 2 way ham radio, dongles, USB sticks, various cables/adapters and now a Mk5PW!

• 3 weeks later...

Being a security guy, I travel with a lot of hardware, it typically confuses the TSA bozos and they leave me alone. I have yet to have anything confiscated with the exception of a tube or toothpaste that exceeded 3 ounces (good grief). For you guys that travel internationally - beware, the computer crime statutes are very different in some places and though the hardware may seem benigne, getting caught operating one could land you in some very hot water. Germany is a good example.

No problems flying with a Pineapple in my carryon coming back from DEFCON. They did flip ship about the roll of TUMS in my pocket, though (apparently the foil-lined paper wrapper is enough to set off the backscatter scanner).

Since I never keep money in my wallet, I forgot I had cash in my front pocket, they flipped out about that.

"WHAT'S IN YOUR POCKET SIR!!"

$250, you want to hold it for me?

"MOVE ALONG!"