AnKey.exe on a Hacksaw =] Fun project!

mikesty

Hello all, I just registered and figured I'd start up a little R&D thread on my idea.

1. Hak .5 is something I've known about for a while, but I never really read into it until I came across the piece on the USB Hacksaw. That made me smile and brought Hak.5 to life for me.

2. I have an RSS feed for this site called AnAppADay, where a guy posts up a new application every day and has done so for the last month. One such application was this little thing called Ankey.exe which jumbles keyboard inputs up. I have showed it to a few friends and we have had a lot of fun with it. This app and it's details are here.

So what I'd like to do is use the hacksaw-like technology to the following:

- Copy ankey.exe (+ dll + bat ) to c:windowssystem32ankey

- Execute ankey.bat which runs ankey.exe and the parameters

- Run away and giggle

This seems like the type of thing people would be interested in. Any discussion on the best way to accomplish this?

BTW, with the rock bottom prices of USB Flash Drives now, I'll be getting a new one just for use as a hacksaw-like drive. Any suggestions? I'm talking <$10 :)

Thanks in advance!!

Cooper: Fixed the URL.

giggle wtf?? You come in here saying Hak5 is awesome then you say were girls? WTF!

Joking lol

I think its a good idea. However maybe an option to have it turn off after say, 5 seconds of typing. I mean if they know cmoputers they are going to check if the process is running and cancel it, if they dont they will take the computer to the local computer technician then you lol and when they scan for spyware and viruses and you cant find anything they get frustatrated and you come in and save the day.

I don't have the slightest clue how to do that, but IIRC the Software Jedi wrote that it is possible to rename ankey.exe to whatever. For example, for the purpose of deceit, we could call it "rundlll32.exe".

Not trying to be a hero, I just want to prank the shit out of a teacher come April :)

Sorry to be a killjoy, but I'm pretty sure ankey requires the .NET 2.0 framework. In which case, you'll have to go through the interactive 2+ minute installation of .NET if you want to use ankey.exe. I might be wrong, but this probably cancels out the stealth install effect of the thumb drive.

If you don't want to deal with the lengthy installation, you'll either have to make sure .NET is preloaded or rewrite ankey so it doesn't use .NET. Most computers don't have .NET installed, especially pre-XP ones. Even fewer have the newest 2.0 framework that Jedi's programs require. Therefore, if you want to ensure compatibility, you will have to rewrite ankey for a generic win32 computer. I won't volunteer, but someone else might.

Couldn't find it on MSDN or with a simple google search.

Considering all the crap .NET dumps on your computer its hard to envision any sort of "quick install".

I know very little about .NET, so it's quite possible that some sort of mini package is still out there. I just think that whenever Microsoft builds a "framework" that takes up 280mb of hard disk space, you can expect its installation to be involved. We all know how simple and intuitive most MS products are...

FYI: (if it might help)

Silent Command Line Install of the .NET Framework:

dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c:"install /l /q"

Specifying the /q:a and /q options for a silent installation allows for a standardized user installation

experience. Specifying the /l option creates a setup log file, Netfx.log, in the %temp% directory

where all errors are logged.

Source: http://energy.ihs.com/NR/rdonlyres/92F5728...ETFramework.pdf