New hacker group

K0B4LT

That is the way it is suppose to be, but noobs here are alot of times treated as 2nd class citizens of the community.

It really depends. People that do some effort in searching the forums first, and read the rules before asking questions. Are always answered on the forums. But those who don't even bother to read rules and search for the problem before asking, yeah .... It happens a lot in the open source community. Same thing like this OP. He started this thread been active a few months but doesn't follow through on it. And its not because of lack of interest or posts.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to ramble, so anyone with short attention spans, as usual, meh...lol

Just looking over some of the posts, I can def hear what some of you are saying and most replies seem to be first time posters. I'm sure we can all relate, and have had that same feeling.

Hello I am interested in forming a hacker group with beginners so we can learn from each other, I'm relatively novice however know several things.

Everyone has to start somewhere, but not everyone here is an expert on everything, nor is that how it works in the real world either. Beginners learning from beginners though, not that I am against forming some sort of community to learn, but isn;t that what the forums are here for already? And last time I checked, there is not only a Hak5 IRC channel, but thousands of IRC networks not just for beginners(get out of my lobby...er, off my front lawn!!)

In my experience, you generally learn quicker from people that are not beginners, than you do from a bunch of beginners who want to teach each other. Not trying to discourage anyone, but jump right in to the deep end, don't wade in the kiddy pool expecting to be doing triple back flips off the high dive in a week. This shit takes time. Some are very quick learners(and also have a lot more free time in their mom's basements..did I just stereotype all of us? anyway..) while others, myself included, not always so quick to pick things up.

It's generally a few who know something and share that with others till everyone knows a little bit more, but no one knows everything there is to know, and hacking (for me anyway) is about learning and tinkering till you figure it out in a way that makes sense for you. If you're new to the forums, and already looking to start your own group for "newbies" then maybe you haven't put in the time to look around, nor are you ready to learn yet. There are some super smart people here, many of whom work in InfoSec and IT for a living, but I think a lot of people expect anything that is asked, whether here or in IRC, to be handed to them on a silver platter and in terms a 3yr old should be able to understand. That may sound harsh, but most of us are self taught or put ourselves through school, work, training, etc, and took whatever answer people gave us, understood or not, and investigated the hell out of it a lot of times before even we fully understood it, and even then - we ourselves may still need help. There will always be the almighty snot of a reply "LMGTFY", better known as - google, for those who aren't familiar with the acronym, "Let me google that for you". That said, we're not all a bunch of dicks(usually), although we can come across that way.(Some of our forum members do have vaginas, but thats off topic..)

We can all come off as arrogant at times, and thats usually just par for the course in a lot of hacker communities, forums and IRC, but we don't go out of our way to belittle people around here, so before running off to new user land, stick around a bit and participate... You're going to find a diverse group of people from all walks of life and different parts of the world here, so you should expect to hear things you like and don't like - remember, it's just the Internet...there will be trolls out there, bring snacks.

The forums are full of threads on how/where to get started in many areas of computing, and also some info on basic forum etiquette. For the most part, even when the same questions are asked over and over again we generally answer them or link to threads if we have them handy; sometimes even linking to places that explain in full detail simple questions they could have googled for the first link answering it, searching the forums for you or even making video walkthroughs step by step to share with others if its a hot topic.(In all seriousness, check the forums and even old episodes - it's probably been asked, answered, and even shown how to be done).

Share and share alike..that may be creative commons motto, but its also the foundation for learning in general. Being here a number of years myself, I still consider myself a noob, but I think everyone, even the smartest of people I've worked with, can be noobs too. There are people that may be able to own a machine in seconds flat, but not know some of the most basic stuff about their own OS, hardware or mobile devices and how to set them up, often things others may find trivial. What one person sees as trivial may be a roadblock for someone else. In other words, one usually doesn't know everything, but you often don't need to either in order to learn, so long as you get the result you want in the end. That's why I think learning from people who know more than you is more beneficial than immediately shouting to the world "Hey noobs, lets all start our own little group for noobs so we can learn together..".

/we're all noobs here, and learning together... There are countless ways to get from point a to b, sometimes taking 50 steps, or sometimes 1, to get the same result. Learning and hacking, is kind of like that. It's not always going to be a straight line, and its not always going to make sense the first time you see/hear it or do it yourself...

As for us "arrogant sycophants" (hi Mnemonic, much respect to you for speaking up, even if you have been here for a long time), respect is given in return when its shown, and flames thrown when not. Those who've come in asking things against the basic forum rules do tend to get flamed a bit at times and even myself had been picked on in IRC and the forums when I first joined the Hak5 community(I don;t even recall if I actually asked something noobish, or if someone was just straight up trolling me from day one), but I get into all kinds of flame wars with people here, on twitter, or wherever. Trolling is in itself an art and I think you learn to get thick skinned or throw in the towel early on - so for anyone new, dedication and sticking around is key to learning! Don't get discouraged, because there are always going to be complete snots in every community you join or even start yourself. Not speaking up, will probably not help you to get ahead. That doesn't mean be a total ass about things you want to learn, but don't take offense to every answer, as they aren't always meant to be offensive. Around here, I've found that generally people get flamed because they don't care so much about learning as they do about malicious intent, and you can tell the difference when it happens. IE: how do I hack my school, can I hire someone to hack my old boss, client, my ex-girlfriends computer, revenge requests, etc.

For me personally, Hacking is all about "learning", regardless of the question and your intention of what you want to do with the answer. I often take what people ask in a thread, and if I don't know myself, look it up so I learn something new, which is how I find out about new things half the time anyway. If something sounds like a foreign language to you, we've all been there, it's normal. Like Cooper just did, he has to look something up that was posted in this thread and I consider him a smart cat to begin with...you can't know everything.

Someone wants to learn something, ask. That is why the forums are here. It's what you make of it. If someone knows, they'll most likely answer. If they see intent to do harm, they may still answer, but don't be offended if someone locks a thread or even antagonizes you in the process or directly attacks you, even exposes something personal about you in the process. Stick around, we don't bite, unless you ask us to.

I tend to ramble, so anyone with short attention spans, as usual, meh...lol

Just looking over some of the posts, I can def hear what some of you are saying and most replies seem to be first time posters. I'm sure we can all relate, and have had that same feeling.

Everyone has to start somewhere, but not everyone here is an expert on everything, nor is that how it works in the real world either. Beginners learning from beginners though, not that I am against forming some sort of community to learn, but isn;t that what the forums are here for already? And last time I checked, there is not only a Hak5 IRC channel, but thousands of IRC networks not just for beginners(get out of my lobby...er, off my front lawn!!)

In my experience, you generally learn quicker from people that are not beginners, than you do from a bunch of beginners who want to teach each other. Not trying to discourage anyone, but jump right in to the deep end, don't wade in the kiddy pool expecting to be doing triple back flips off the high dive in a week. This shit takes time. Some are very quick learners(and also have a lot more free time in their mom's basements..did I just stereotype all of us? anyway..) while others, myself included, not always so quick to pick things up.

It's generally a few who know something and share that with others till everyone knows a little bit more, but no one knows everything there is to know, and hacking (for me anyway) is about learning and tinkering till you figure it out in a way that makes sense for you. If you're new to the forums, and already looking to start your own group for "newbies" then maybe you haven't put in the time to look around, nor are you ready to learn yet. There are some super smart people here, many of whom work in InfoSec and IT for a living, but I think a lot of people expect anything that is asked, whether here or in IRC, to be handed to them on a silver platter and in terms a 3yr old should be able to understand. That may sound harsh, but most of us are self taught or put ourselves through school, work, training, etc, and took whatever answer people gave us, understood or not, and investigated the hell out of it a lot of times before even we fully understood it, and even then - we ourselves may still need help. There will always be the almighty snot of a reply "LMGTFY", better known as - google, for those who aren't familiar with the acronym, "Let me google that for you". That said, we're not all a bunch of dicks(usually), although we can come across that way.(Some of our forum members do have vaginas, but thats off topic..)

We can all come off as arrogant at times, and thats usually just par for the course in a lot of hacker communities, forums and IRC, but we don't go out of our way to belittle people around here, so before running off to new user land, stick around a bit and participate... You're going to find a diverse group of people from all walks of life and different parts of the world here, so you should expect to hear things you like and don't like - remember, it's just the Internet...there will be trolls out there, bring snacks.

The forums are full of threads on how/where to get started in many areas of computing, and also some info on basic forum etiquette. For the most part, even when the same questions are asked over and over again we generally answer them or link to threads if we have them handy; sometimes even linking to places that explain in full detail simple questions they could have googled for the first link answering it, searching the forums for you or even making video walkthroughs step by step to share with others if its a hot topic.(In all seriousness, check the forums and even old episodes - it's probably been asked, answered, and even shown how to be done).

Share and share alike..that may be creative commons motto, but its also the foundation for learning in general. Being here a number of years myself, I still consider myself a noob, but I think everyone, even the smartest of people I've worked with, can be noobs too. There are people that may be able to own a machine in seconds flat, but not know some of the most basic stuff about their own OS, hardware or mobile devices and how to set them up, often things others may find trivial. What one person sees as trivial may be a roadblock for someone else. In other words, one usually doesn't know everything, but you often don't need to either in order to learn, so long as you get the result you want in the end. That's why I think learning from people who know more than you is more beneficial than immediately shouting to the world "Hey noobs, lets all start our own little group for noobs so we can learn together..".

/we're all noobs here, and learning together... There are countless ways to get from point a to b, sometimes taking 50 steps, or sometimes 1, to get the same result. Learning and hacking, is kind of like that. It's not always going to be a straight line, and its not always going to make sense the first time you see/hear it or do it yourself...

As for us "arrogant sycophants" (hi Mnemonic, much respect to you for speaking up, even if you have been here for a long time), respect is given in return when its shown, and flames thrown when not. Those who've come in asking things against the basic forum rules do tend to get flamed a bit at times and even myself had been picked on in IRC and the forums when I first joined the Hak5 community(I don;t even recall if I actually asked something noobish, or if someone was just straight up trolling me from day one), but I get into all kinds of flame wars with people here, on twitter, or wherever. Trolling is in itself an art and I think you learn to get thick skinned or throw in the towel early on - so for anyone new, dedication and sticking around is key to learning! Don't get discouraged, because there are always going to be complete snots in every community you join or even start yourself. Not speaking up, will probably not help you to get ahead. That doesn't mean be a total ass about things you want to learn, but don't take offense to every answer, as they aren't always meant to be offensive. Around here, I've found that generally people get flamed because they don't care so much about learning as they do about malicious intent, and you can tell the difference when it happens. IE: how do I hack my school, can I hire someone to hack my old boss, client, my ex-girlfriends computer, revenge requests, etc.

For me personally, Hacking is all about "learning", regardless of the question and your intention of what you want to do with the answer. I often take what people ask in a thread, and if I don't know myself, look it up so I learn something new, which is how I find out about new things half the time anyway. If something sounds like a foreign language to you, we've all been there, it's normal. Like Cooper just did, he has to look something up that was posted in this thread and I consider him a smart cat to begin with...you can't know everything.

Someone wants to learn something, ask. That is why the forums are here. It's what you make of it. If someone knows, they'll most likely answer. If they see intent to do harm, they may still answer, but don't be offended if someone locks a thread or even antagonizes you in the process or directly attacks you, even exposes something personal about you in the process. Stick around, we don't bite, unless you ask us to.

Well said and to the point! :wink:

Edited by mreidiv

The idea sounds good but a few points.

1) people need to be vetted and sane! you dont want to be joining a group thats going to turn bad and get arrested

2) need to be willing tyo share info and not be stuck up your own backside thinking that you know more than people and unwilling to help them

i am a penetration tester (professional hacker) and am happy to help new starters learn INFOSEC and system security.

hit me up if you have questions or actually start something

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now that you have your Hak5 army, how bout a joB? Prove the skills you think you have PM me for details

How bout you post what you want done, since it sounds more like you want someone to break the law for you vs learning something. We're not mercs for hire. Go to the blackmarket if you want that kind of help...

To everyone else with the

Hey if this is still something happening I want to join. :)

questions, that is the point of these forums and IRC, and us linking to other sites when YOU POST what it is you're having trouble learning and need help with after you've looked up, researched, tried and failed to understand what it is you're trying to do and learn.

It's your community too, make what you want of it, but don't expect scripts to automate attacks for you, lessons on how to hack your school, etc, since these are all surely useful things to learn HOW they work, but we're not going to hand you everything, nor condone committing crimes from what you learn.

Quoting myself from a different, similar thread:

[...]why limit your input to a select few on this forum that agree to join your group when, if the goal is to gain understanding of something, you could just ask here whatever you want and have the entire forum at your beck and call...

Edited by Cooper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hard To Find People Interested In This Kinda Stuff

The clever thing to do would then be to for instance ask questions on this forum about things you want to get working on or showing the state of what you've done thus far, possibly with questions on where to go from there.

Alternatively, you could go to your local hackerspace or a 2600 meeting or even a con and find a lot of like-minded people.

It might be daunting at first because you might go there thinking they already know everything and you'll be the sad little noob tucked away in the corner for others to make fun of, but in my experience the people that go to these sorts of things have a genuine interest in spreading the knowledge and tent to be quite approachable. Just remember: Everybody had to start somewhere and chances are you already know things they don't.

Edited by Cooper

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...