Get internet connection from router

How would I go about getting an internet connection through my main router via Ethernet, while still being able to access the management interface over the wlan0 interface? With the default config, booting the pineapple with it connected to the router does give me Internet access over the pineapple's wlan0 wifi network. However, I can't reach 172.16.42.1.

Can you connect to it via the pineapples LAN address on your network?

You wont be able to reach the 172 address if you aren't connected to the pineapple (either via ICS or as a client) because that gateway is specific to the device. If the pineapple is using 192.168.1.3 on your network, try connecting to 192.168.1.3:yourporthere

I can't even figure out what IP address my pineapple has on my primary network. o_O It doesn't show up in my router's interface. It doesn't show up in an nmap scan from my primary network. It doesn't even show up when I connect to the pineapple's network and do a tracert. It's like it's operating in some sort of stealth mode or something, just passing the traffic through to the main router. And like I said in my OP, I can't connect to the 172 address when I connect to the pineapple's AP either. I have found no way whatsoever to access the pineapple once I plug it into my router.

I can't even figure out what IP address my pineapple has on my primary network. o_O It doesn't show up in my router's interface. It doesn't show up in an nmap scan from my primary network. It doesn't even show up when I connect to the pineapple's network and do a tracert. It's like it's operating in some sort of stealth mode or something, just passing the traffic through to the main router. And like I said in my OP, I can't connect to the 172 address when I connect to the pineapple's AP either. I have found no way whatsoever to access the pineapple once I plug it into my router.

For the time being until its fully setup the way you want it, direct connect it via RJ45 cable to your laptop/PC. Set static ip on your pc (172.16.42.42). Should be able to roll from there.

If you connect to your pineapple's wifi, what ip does your laptop get??

If I run a scan on my network with the pineapple on it I can see the pineapple has ports 22, 53, and 80 open.

I don't think I've changed anything that would cause that behavior. And I don't get that behavior when I connect the pineapple to my main network via wifi. When I do that, I can access the admin interface from either the main network or the pineapple's wifi, and connecting to the pineapple's wifi gives me a proper 172 address.

Are you trying to connect the WiFi Pineapple Ethernet socket to your existing network/router/switch via an Ethernet cable?

If so... by default the Pineapples Ethernet port doesn't get an IP address via DHCP (I believe it's connected to the bridge adapter and 172.16.42.1 IP address?) and indeed the WiFi Pineapples own DHCP server operates on that hardware Ethernet port. Having dueling DHCP servers on the same network segment handing out different IP addresses isn't a good idea! :smile:

There has been a recent discussion on this :- https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/33125-ethernet-client-mode/

Not sure on the exact steps needed to turn the Ethernet socket into a "client"... I have tried various things to do this in the past, but my attempts usually end in frustration.

I'm happy to wait for an "official" remedy. :grin:

Are you trying to connect the WiFi Pineapple Ethernet socket to your existing network/router/switch via an Ethernet cable?

If so... by default the Pineapples Ethernet port doesn't get an IP address via DHCP (I believe it's connected to the bridge adapter and 172.16.42.1 IP address?) and indeed the WiFi Pineapples own DHCP server operates on that hardware Ethernet port. Having dueling DHCP servers on the same network segment handing out different IP addresses isn't a good idea! :smile:

There has been a recent discussion on this :- https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/33125-ethernet-client-mode/

Not sure on the exact steps needed to turn the Ethernet socket into a "client"... I have tried various things to do this in the past, but my attempts usually end in frustration.

I'm happy to wait for an "official" remedy. :grin:

Darren showed how to turn the pineapple into a client on one of the podcasts a couple months ago. Been meaning to look it up so I could link it to that discussion.

This should point you in the right direction, at the 7:40 mark or so. http://hak5.org/episodes/hak5-1517

Edited by barry99705