does anyone know any good hacking movies?

Computer_Security

I have watched the matrix and algorithm which was a really good movie and if you want to watch it someone wrote a post about it and that was how I heard of it so I was wondering if there was any really good hacking movies that I have never heard of because I am really getting in to them now so if anyone has a favorite or just knows one I would love to check it out

-thanks

"Hackers" (the one with Angelina Joli) is still one of my favorites. A lot of people mistakenly write it off because of the cheesy dialog and "hacking" scenes, but it was prophetic in terms of the hacker culture and aesthetic. When that movie came out there were almost no hackers that looked like the characters on the screen, but just ten years later conferences like DEFCON had turned into raves full of people straight out of that movie. The clothes got better, the music got better, and we even have hacking show that's all about technolust. All inspired by Hackers.

Wargames with Matthew Broderick and Allie Sheedy is also a classic (and the hacking scenes are probably still the most accurate of any Hollywood film.)

Either Swordfish or Operation:Swordfish would be an equally poor suggestion.

Or Tron (hahaha)

A cool one though is the bizarre but magnificent Japanese masterpiece Battle Royale which includes a hacking scene that involves nmap source code. Even if the hacking angle is a minor aside, it really is an awesome movie and I highly recommend you to go see it, preferably with original voices.

"Oooh. This one is super lucky!"

So far I have seen....

1. Algorithm ( great movie )
2. Sneakers ( another great movie and pretty funny )
3. Hackers ( really cheesey at points but some good hacking scenes )
4. here are some documentary's on youtube....

(Hack, Hacking, Hackers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVtBhhd5iVM (Hacking Documentary )
( How Hackers Changed the world )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34cwMz3HZ8Q (Web Warriors CBC documentary: I haven't seen this one yet )
(Hackers Outlaws and Angels: Haven't seen this one yet )
( Anonymous Documentary: I haven't seen this one yet)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_s2vQpCLHE ( Secret history of hacking: really good! )
( here is a 13 min clip of an interview done by BBC on a former lulzsec member: I haven't seen this one yet)
( hackers are people too: haven't seen this one yet )
( secret life of machines: this one is good if you are a hardware hacker and there are multiple episodes )
( unauthorized access: I haven't seen this one yet )

5. War games
6. Battle Royal
7. If you look at my in depth post on XBMC and install it you can find some hacking documentary's that haven't been publicly released if you search "hacking" on 1channel!!!!

8. Track down (which is on netflix and is about kevin mitnick)

9. Hacker documentary from PBS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjUzMWF8Lxg

Edited by Computer_Security

Guest spazi

"Hackers" and "wargames" are just classics :)

Cheesy lines and story line but you gotta love it.

In the realm of the hackers is my favorite documentary, but it has a kinda sad ending.

I read a book called "the cuckoos egg" which actually mentions some of the hackers mentioned in the documentary. Funny coincidense

Edited by spazi

"Hackers" and "wargames" are just classics :)

Cheesy lines and story line but you gotta love it.

In the realm of the hackers is my favorite documentary, but it has a kinda sad ending.

I read a book called "the cuckoos egg" which actually mentions some of the hackers mentioned in the documentary. Funny coincidense[/quote

Thanks i will watch the documentary later and sneakers and hackers was pretty good for being made in the early 90's!!

Most of the hack movies use same style. but here are the suggestions for you for some extra inspiration. these movies are 50% hacker movies but have some real gem. Matrix i've seen in 1999 & all that followed.

take this..

The Social Network

The Girl with Dragon Tatoo ( watch both english & swedish version )

The Fifth Estate (2013)

The Internets Own Boy Aaron Swartz ( documentary )

Code 2600 ( Docum)

The Internets Own Boy Aaron Swartz ( documentary ) is realistic, i downloaded from torrent.

Edited by Skorpinok Rover

The social network... I wouldn't piss in zuckerman's mouth if his face was on fire.

I find it interesting that many movies mentioned here are also simply listed on the nmap site, with a few more. Best check those out.

There's the movie Firewall where apparently (I didn't see it yet) Harrison Ford is the sysadmin for some prize target in charge of the firewall. Criminals attack him at his house, hold his family hostage and thus force him to find a way into the system, beyond the firewall he so dilligently erected.

It sounded like something that Hollywood would dumb down for the masses to the point where anybody with a digital watch is capable of starting a nuclear war so for now I'm keeping my distance, waiting for a moment I don't mind losing.

There's the movie Firewall where apparently (I didn't see it yet) Harrison Ford is the sysadmin for some prize target in charge of the firewall. Criminals attack him at his house, hold his family hostage and thus force him to find a way into the system, beyond the firewall he so dilligently erected.

It sounded like something that Hollywood would dumb down for the masses to the point where anybody with a digital watch is capable of starting a nuclear war so for now I'm keeping my distance, waiting for a moment I don't mind losing.

Yea copper it seems like that hollywood has to dumb down every hacker movie out there but I just wish that they could make ONE really good and accurate hacker movie!!! and I would say that the most accurate movie was ALGORITHM witch i though to be a great movie

Edited by Computer_Security

Watched Battle Royale again last night. *DAMN* that is one HELL of a good movie. The hacking is a bit funny as one of the students is basically writing NMap in about half a day, but it doesn't detract at all.

Oh, and P.S.: do NOT watch the sequels. They're made by the son of the now sadly deceased director of the original who only did the screenplay of that original and clearly didn't understand why the story worked so well, opting to just kill everything younger than 16.

Watched Battle Royale again last night. *DAMN* that is one HELL of a good movie. The hacking is a bit funny as one of the students is basically writing NMap in about half a day, but it doesn't detract at all.

Oh, and P.S.: do NOT watch the sequels. They're made by the son of the now sadly deceased director of the original who only did the screenplay of that original and clearly didn't understand why the story worked so well, opting to just kill everything younger than 16.

Sweat..... Ill watch it later

Man, Cooper you have good taste. You have mentioned one of my fave movies. Battle Royale is brilliant and the only foreign film I have managed to get my brother to sit and watch, and he loves it. Sadly Battle Royale II was total kak. The storyline was made of stront and there was no character development done by the kut who wrote it. The action wasnt bad though. But in the original the characters reacted to the situation quite realistically and I actually felt sad or happy when they died, depending on who it was. Number two had none of that. Well, honestly I did feel bad a few times when someone bit the dust.

This post has been informative and entertaining. I've always loved hackers and when I was younger I used to do those tricks with the phone's and the recorder. Messing around with payphones when I was a pre-teen was what originally got me into hacking. Oh that and the anarchist's cookbook which had a few cool tips. Also for you heterosexual guys and you lesbians, you get to see Angeina Jolie's tits in Hackers. I dont think she was fully developed though, because they have grown a lot since then. Just watch 'Gia' Anyway, I have been awake all night on my pineapple, so I need to sleep. I can already feel the crazy start to leak out of me. Ciao!

• 3 weeks later...