HP 14 notebook advanced protected BIOS

Swamppifi

Hi all

I have just brought a new HP 14 notebook with Window 8.1.....

Now it appears this new model has the new Protect BIOS, which prevents unauthorised booting by stick , or cd/dvd.

I have got into the boot menu by pressing the ESC key every second while booting to get in.

Now I have disabled the protected boot option, and it then ask for a 4 digit pin, this allows the changing of the order.

But even with this disabled, if what your installing isn't approved in the bios ( kali ), it won't boot.

My boot option is

cd/dvd

usb

os boot manager

So it should boot, but doesn't

I have tried my bootable USB Kali which has worked in the pass, and a iso image on disc, which has also worked in the pass, but it won't recongise either...

Anyone has a suggestion , I want gone of windows 8 as soon as possible...

Use the Windows bootloader as a chainloader for your Linux install.

Means you'll have to keep Windows around, but you can shrink that down to beyond the barest minimum and just move on into Linux automatically at boot.

Here's some info on the subject, as it pertains to Arch Linux. I'm sure you can adapt this to Kali.

Edited by Cooper

Thanks for that Cooper

I will readup on that, in the mean time, I am currently installing it as a Vm machine for the short term to get me going this weekend.

so this means that HP is locking in MS products in its range of laptops

so this means that HP is locking in MS products in its range of laptops

I think you'll find it's MS that's forcing HP to do this.

It is a HP 14" notebook , it doesn't give any other model info than that.

This is the link to the BIOS set up for this model

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=5295884&spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03653226-8%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

now I have followed the first section on how to disable protected boot order by getting into the BIOS set up with the ESC key.... but the second section " press F10 " to enter into the set up utility, which should allow you to switch back to " Legacy Bios" which would allow booting from dvd of other systems, just doesn't work, F10 brings up the BIOS setup , not the HP set up utility.

At the moment, I have protected boot order disabled, but my understanding is this will only allow for genuine windows, or HP recovery disk to boot, everything else is locked out.

it appears this model is blocked from switching between secure BIOS and Legacy BIOS, and if this is the case, no linux will be able to be directly installed... working on it.

I am going to try to install again by VM ware now,it crashed last night on first attempt, had the cpu virtualization technology disabled in the BIOS, now enabled...what a silly mistake to make.

It doesn't have a large sticker on the bottom that, amongst other things, includes the Windows product key sticker?

It doesn't provide its model around the rim of the screen (bottom-right, typically)?

You must truly have a unique beast... Did you get it from a shop or just some guy? These BIOS questions are the sort you're typically best off asking the seller.

There are no marking on it to identify the model

But I went online at the retailer I brought it from and found the model

It is HP 1000 1433tu.

This is the link to the BIOS set up for this model

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=5295884&spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03653226-8%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

now I have followed the first section on how to disable protected boot order by getting into the BIOS set up with the ESC key.... but the second section " press F10 " to enter into the set up utility, which should allow you to switch back to " Legacy Bios" which would allow booting from dvd of other systems, just doesn't work, F10 brings up the BIOS setup , not the HP set up utility.

At the moment, I have protected boot order disabled, but my understanding is this will only allow for genuine windows, or HP recovery disk to boot, everything else is locked out.

it appears this model is blocked from switching between secure BIOS and Legacy BIOS, and if this is the case, no linux will be able to be directly installed... working on it.

I am going to try to install again by VM ware now,it crashed last night on first attempt, had the cpu virtualization technology disabled in the BIOS, now enabled...what a silly mistake to make.

If protected boot is disabled try booting a linux cd. It should still boot. Most current linux distros support uefi.

It doesn't have a large sticker on the bottom that, amongst other things, includes the Windows product key sticker?

It doesn't provide its model around the rim of the screen (bottom-right, typically)?

You must truly have a unique beast... Did you get it from a shop or just some guy? These BIOS questions are the sort you're typically best off asking the seller.

It looks like an oddball Australian model. It only shows up on the Australian and New Zealand Hp sites.

Edited by barry99705