pineapple host ap (wlan0) encryption fails

so, i enable wlan0, set the encryption to wpa2, put in my encrypted password, reset the wireless, remove my ethernet connection, adn try to connect wirelessly. it just keeps asking me for the encryption, like it's failing to connect and im very very sure its the right encryption. is it a dhcp issue? if so i tried to manually enter my ip (172.16.42.30), netmask (255.255.255.0), and gateway (172.16.42.1) with no avail.

please help?

if it helps i also had this issue when i first flashed the pineapple when i tried to connect eth0 style. i manually entered the ip n what nots and i got right on. the dhcp seemed to work automatically after i went through the setup and i put it back to automatic.

im still stuck on this issue...

my eth0 connection works just fine. when i unplug the Ethernet chord and try to connect through the wireless nic wlan0 the connection just times out and feeds me the encryption again. what is jamming up my connection here?

so, i enable wlan0, set the encryption to wpa2, put in my encrypted password, ..

What do you mean by "encrypted password?" Did you just put in your plain password? What happened when you tried it with encryption set to none? Are you using the "Access Point" tab of the Network infusion? Wen you say "feeds me the encryption again," do you mean that it prompts you for the WiFi password?

• 2 weeks later...

If you provide more details regarding the infusion(s) you are using (Network and/or WiFi Manager), the firmware version (1.4.1?), in this case your OS and browser, and use specific language, I'm sure we can give you enough clues to get you up and running in no time.

PS: Also mention anything that may be different from the stock setup, such as antennas.

Edited by fringes

im using the stock setup with firmare v. 1.4.1 and ive had this issue under ubuntu and windows 7. no browsers used since i cannot connect to the pineapple's AP.

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:96:A6:5C:D2:9C
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:7 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:1373 (1.3 KiB)

i have trouble using ssh on the pineapple box until i use the commands:

cd ~
rm -r .ssh
ssh root@172.16.42.1

its probably not related though.

the isssue occurs only when im trying to connect wirelessly to the pineapple. i have no issue with the hardwire connection. i even tried manually putting in the connection 172.16.42.24 with netmask 255.255.255.0 and got the same output. its not the encryption key because the same issue occurs without an encryption key.

so, what's the next step? clear out all the infusions? try pineapple's wifimanager instead of the default network manager?

no browsers used since i cannot connect to the pineapple's AP.

Connect your Ethernet cable and browse (with a browser) to http://172.16.42.1:1471/. Then go into the Network infusion, select the Access Point tab, add an SSID, select a channel, and save. Does the SSID show up in your computers WiFi list? If so, connect to it and browse again to http://172.16.42.1:1471/.

Does that work for starters?

I absolutely use the WiFi Manager too, as it's very useful. But you shouldn't need it just for this. I wouldn't clear out any infusions either. Just minimize the ones you aren't using to declutter your display.

Edited by fringes

Does the SSID show up in your computers WiFi list? If so, connect to it and browse again to http://172.16.42.1:1471/.

it shows up. can't connect to it. even when it's unencrypted.

linux network manager stalls out when tyrying to connect to it and windows network manager just refuses the connection. it's as if it is struggling to assign me an ip address, but i tried manually entering a static ip with a netmask.

no dice.

well, i gave up and factory reset the router. the same configuration i tried previously works now. i have no idea how or why this would fix my ap connectivity issue or why it somehow works now, but im connected wirelessly to the ap with encryption active.

well, i gave up and factory reset the router. the same configuration i tried previously works now. i have no idea how or why this would fix my ap connectivity issue or why it somehow works now, but im connected wirelessly to the ap with encryption active.

Glad it now works. Did you at any point use or install the WiFi manager infusion?

Best regards,

Sebkinne

:( it came back...

this was from a fresh reset.

oh and about the program "wifi manager"

i tried to use this infusion to change the encryption type from tkip to tkip/aes in hopes that this would answer my problem and when i saved the changes it had created 4 logical interfaces for both network interfaces. it came out like this:

wlan0

wlan0-2

wlan0-3

wlan1

wlan1-2

wlan1-3

i thought that was pretty cool looking, so that's when i did the factory reset.

after that everything was working great. i had the ap up with encryption and the client up with my local internet connection.

it was so nice i apt-get updated to send some traffic thoguh the connection. now i get home after a short day at work and it's right back to refusing to connect.

Syslog:

Jul 22 19:52:54 Pineapple daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[1785]: no address range available for DHCP request via wlan1
Jul 22 19:51:33 Pineapple daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA 48:28:2f:c7:dd:91 IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to local deauth request
Jul 22 19:51:24 Pineapple daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA 48:28:2f:c7:dd:91 IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
Jul 22 19:51:24 Pineapple daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA 48:28:2f:c7:dd:91 IEEE 802.11: authenticated
Jul 22 19:51:14 Pineapple daemon.notice hostapd: wlan0: STA 48:28:2f:c7:dd:91 IEEE 802.11: did not acknowledge authentication response
Jul 22 19:46:04 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [38975.470000] br-lan: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state
Jul 22 19:46:02 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [38973.470000] br-lan: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state
Jul 22 19:46:02 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [38973.460000] br-lan: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state
Jul 22 19:46:02 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [38973.460000] eth0: link up (100Mbps/Full duplex)
Jul 22 19:44:44 Pineapple daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[1785]: no address range available for DHCP request via wlan1
Jul 22 19:42:44 Pineapple daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[1785]: no address range available for DHCP request via wlan1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I've been having some thing similar to this happen to me. See post: https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/33239-mk5-refusing-ap-connections-after-period-of-time/?p=248282

I've been watching the forums like a hawk for something like this so please post any resolution. I've only been able to glimps the power of the pine one log on at a time....followed by wireless rest, factory rest, re flash and even unbricking procedures. Currently running 2.0.3.

I'm looking at the logs and it seems that the MkV is not receiving an authentication response. When I try on another device I can connect but only once. After which I'm locked out.

Edited by Hike