Antenna that comes with the Realtek RTL2832U SDR

Some im just curious how good the antenna is on them. Any idea how far away it can listen in on aircraft? Gonna be hard doing a video review on it if im need to make a custom pole to run off it.

I live not to far from the international airport for my area i'd say about roughly about 15-20 miles from it. I hear planes fly over everyday i guess if worse came to worse i could wait a few months when air traffic really picks up for like Thanksgiving or Christmas if i had to.

Indoor from the 1st floor of a 2-story house with the antenna just standing upright on the floor I got almost 100km with ADS-B.

In about 2 weeks I'll be back in my own house which is on the 5th floor of an appartement building which should help increase range somewhat.

MY reception, with the stock antenna inside ranges from 40 to 120 mile depending on direction. Interestingly All reception dies out at airports, I wonder if aircraft turn off the transmitter when going in for the approach for landing?

MY reception, with the stock antenna inside ranges from 40 to 120 mile depending on direction. Interestingly All reception dies out at airports, I wonder if aircraft turn off the transmitter when going in for the approach for landing?

Well ADB-S being 1090MHz is quite line of sightish so unless you can see the runway you won't see the planes on the ground.

With Mode-S and ADS-B planes leave it on all the way to the gate and turn it back on when starting up and leaving the gate. ADS-B and Mode-S MLat is used to track planes on the ground. This is particularly important at Airports which have zero visibility ILS systems as don't want planes crashing into each other. Also at these airports all the ground vehicles that leave the apron and go on taxiways and such are also tracked. For example on Flight Radar look at NZAA and you will usually some ground vehicles in addition to planes.

Well ADB-S being 1090MHz is quite line of sightish so unless you can see the runway you won't see the planes on the ground.

With Mode-S and ADS-B planes leave it on all the way to the gate and turn it back on when starting up and leaving the gate. ADS-B and Mode-S MLat is used to track planes on the ground. This is particularly important at Airports which have zero visibility ILS systems as don't want planes crashing into each other. Also at these airports all the ground vehicles that leave the apron and go on taxiways and such are also tracked. For example on Flight Radar look at NZAA and you will usually some ground vehicles in addition to planes.

Thanks that's good info, the Denver airport is 20 Miles NE of of me and probably 300 ft lower along with all the buildings etc probably does limit reception