"Evil" network SSID appearing when router is turned on

Mikebyne

I was on a friends network today and we noticed an open SSID "Evil" within range.

This network was on the same channel and signal strength as his. When we turned off the router it disappeared, powered it back on and it reappeared.

I swapped out the router with a spare one and it seem to solve the issue.

What sort of attack would cause this? How can he prevent this in the future?

Any help would be great!

Way to vague to comment on but did you try looking at the interface for the AP to see if someone had just added the second ESSID?

It was a stock router from a broadband provider in Ireland. I dont think it had an option to add another SSID

The mac address for "evil" was near identical to the main router bar the last digit

Can't think of any specific thing that would cause this. Without looking at the device I'd go for it being someone messing with the device and adding a second ESSID. hostapd behaves like this when it hosts multiple ESSIDs and is what most AP creators use.

Can't think of any specific thing that would cause this. Without looking at the device I'd go for it being someone messing with the device and adding a second ESSID. hostapd behaves like this when it hosts multiple ESSIDs and is what most AP creators use.

I'm sure it wasn't anything too malicious because I doubt they'd call the new "Evil"

Just thought Id ask about it as I haven't seen this type of attack before