graphics card or processor

Rab

umn, this may seem a silly question, but here goes.

building a pc.

cpu fan spins, but theres no video output. so im thinking a problem with graphics card or processor. i did basically own my processor yesterday, dont ask, but i straightened up the pins and it fit. question is...

if my cpu was fucked, could i still get video output?

No. Without a CPU, all you get is the spinning up of fans and harddrives. Nothing else.

When the GPU is dead the system will still POST (you just won't see it) and typically beep 3 times to indicate it was unable to initialize the video card.

Sorry. Seems you really did own that CPU.

haha ok thanks m8, thought as much.

i'm only working on this system while i wait for rma n stuff for my main system. i'll just bung a celeron in it, not too much damage to the bank account!

my main machine....

worked for a few days, then kept BSODing (at windows driver loading) with no error messages only codes that related to paging and irql... whatever that is. everyone i asked said it was probably the mobo, so i'm returning it. any comments on that?

Specs:

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe

Intel Core 2 Duo 6300

2x1GB GeiL DDR2 @ 800MHz 4-4-4-12

BFG 7900GS

Seagate Barracuda 120GB

Antec NeoHE 430W

Bob, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a driver problem, usually not ram. The crpatacular NVIDIA WDM drivers or firewall program kept making my rig go tits up. (never cared to mind out which driver it was)

Bob, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a driver problem, usually not ram. The crpatacular NVIDIA WDM drivers or firewall program kept making my rig go tits up. (never cared to mind out which driver it was)

i was speakingfrom personal experiance, whne i got an IRQL notification it was my RAM, and msot stop errors seem to be RAm related, it seems though, the ones that arent are a driver issue, and ive noticed alot occor on NF4 boards...speaking of wich

when i insert a DVD into my hitachi gd5000 i get a stop error, commonly experianced on similar boards, but solutions have varied from RAM (tried and failed) to windows problem(tried and failed 3 times) to driver issues(tried and failed)[/hijack]

No. Without a CPU, all you get is the spinning up of fans and harddrives. Nothing else.

When the GPU is dead the system will still POST (you just won't see it) and typically beep 3 times to indicate it was unable to initialize the video card.

Sorry. Seems you really did own that CPU.

I put in a new CPU, and it made no difference.

When i turn the power on, the CPU fan spins, the HDD LED is on, and Power LED is on. The monitor still says 'No Video Input' (note that the monitor is fine, just tested it with my lappy). There are NO BEEPS.

Is it my GPU then? I thought there would be beeps?

Please Help!

Does it sound like it's booting?

Put your ear to the harddrive, and listen for any drive activity that resembles that of a booting machine (as opposed to the continuous hum of a drive doing nothing).

If it boots, it might be that your GPU is fucked enough to not display an image, but not sufficiently to freak out the MoBo.

If it doesn't boot, see if a different MoBo or DIMM makes a difference.

ok, the cpu fan spins fast.

the hdd led light comes on and stays on constantly, but theres no sound of activity on the drive, but would there be?

i have 2 sticks of ram, i tried each seperately.

i have no other mobo to try.

what do you think?

not really no, they all have top machines, this is me trying to repair a cheap machine... althought i've replaced the whole thing almost... the stuff isnt compatible.

i've bought...

2x mobo

2gb ram

1 gfx card

1 hd

1 dvdr

1 dvdrw

2 psu

2 processors

AND NOTHING WORKS. THIS SUCKS.

Take everything out. Make sure the Mobo is on an isolated surface (plastic, newspaper. Be creative). Add CPU, 1 DIMM, a graphics card and a PSU.

If you get nothing on the screen, take out the graphics card and pray for beeps (attach the speaker if your MoBo doesn't have one of those Piezo things on board).

Shit like this is the reason I keep a known-good PCI graphics card around.

VaKo, i know it sounds like that, and this is my first build, but i'm not a tard ok? I've followed all the manuals and did plenty of reading before i started. If it worked properly, it would be working.

Cooper, I dont understand why my HD doesnt make an activity-type noises, it's the only drive connected. The Mobo manual says nothing of beeps, it was probably made in korea or something, but I dunno how to check for whether I need to connect speakers or not, my case has no speaker. Ideas?

VaKo, i know it sounds like that, and this is my first build, but i'm not a tard ok? I've followed all the manuals and did plenty of reading before i started. If it worked properly, it would be working.

Never said you were a 'tard. What I am saying is after this many issues, I would really consider and long sit down a research period. Something ain't right here.

not really no, they all have top machines, this is me trying to repair a cheap machine... althought i've replaced the whole thing almost... the stuff isnt compatible.

i've bought...

2x mobo

2gb ram

1 gfx card

1 hd

1 dvdr

1 dvdrw

2 psu

2 processors

AND NOTHING WORKS. THIS SUCKS.

what a blow of money

just get a new computer

get one of your friends to try and work on it...

you need to be logical about it.

go round ur mates and ask them to put your hdd and memory in there rig, if it boots and detects the hdd then you know 2 parts are working.

Take your graphics card around and get them to check that aswell, if they dont want to mess around with that then take it to a pc store.

If you pay them a $10 they might test the parts for you, if there nice ppl they will do it for free.