Cannot connect to attwifi for client access

SixKids

I am not sure why, but I cannot connect to the attwifi point for my Hotel.

Here's the web page information:

Join A Network

Interface: wlan1 Scan

attwifiattwifi
BSSID: 00:14:69:04:4a:50 SSID: attwifi Channel: 1 Signal Strength: -65.00 dBm Quality: 70% Security: Open Connect to this network

Connection Information - Refresh - Disconnect Selected InterfaceInterface: wlan1
Not connected.
AutoSSH[-]
AutoSSH: Disconnected. |Connect
Autostart: Disabled. | Enable
Pineapple Bar[-]
Refresh this tile to check for system updates.

Configuration[-]
DNSSpoof Disabled. | Start
Cron Enabled. | Disable
WiFi Pineapple MK5[-]
Firmware Version: 1.4.1

Refresh this tile to check for firmware upgrades.

Any ideas on what is going on??

Uh!!! well the first picture doesn't look good if thats how it really looks for you cause its not supposed to look like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoYm8OGllhE Make sure your following like the video shows if the attwifi doesn't need a password just click connect to network without a password.

Ugh, the original screen did not look exactly like that, but I have made two screenshots for your consideration.

I've seen the video, and that's what prompted me to attempt this in the first place. Unfortunately, there is no attempt to request a password. Why?

post-42943-0-75832500-1403051066_thumb.p

post-42943-0-13244800-1403051068_thumb.p

Edited by SixKids

I'm confused as to what your talking about that attwifi is Open which means it doesn't need a password to connect to that access point all you need to do and click Connect to Network link and it should connect you to it.

If I understand correctly, the WiFi Pineapple MKV joins the wireless network just fine - it just doesn't allow any internet as there is a captive portal.

To get around this specific type of captive portal, you will need to use something like portalsmash (requires ruby), lynx (browse the captive portal over SSH and accept), or accept the captive portal on one of your devices and change the WiFi Pineapple MKV's MAC to that of your device.

There is nothing faulty about this setup, it's just that you are stuck at a captive portal.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

If I understand correctly, the WiFi Pineapple MKV joins the wireless network just fine - it just doesn't allow any internet as there is a captive portal.

To get around this specific type of captive portal, you will need to use something like portalsmash (requires ruby), lynx (browse the captive portal over SSH and accept), or accept the captive portal on one of your devices and change the WiFi Pineapple MKV's MAC to that of your device.

There is nothing faulty about this setup, it's just that you are stuck at a captive portal.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Heya Seb,

I LOVE the idea of using lynx on the MKV, honestly I'd completely forgotten about lynx!! Great idea, and if you would't mind, how do we go about getting lynx installed on our MKVs?

Thanks!

hfam

Opkg install lynx? I'm not home do I can't try it.

Thanks brother, I'll give it a shot here in a bit and weigh back in! I'm all excited about lynx, man, it's been ages since I used it and it seems it would be a perfect lightweight browser and elegant solution to deal with connecting to a captive portal!

It's not pretty, but until we have ported "Portalsmash" to the WiFi Pineapple MKV, this is probably the easiest solution.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

The standard black/green color scheme looks better. I was messing with the color options. This was the 16 color version.

Man, it's been ages since I used a text browser, like stepping back in time!!

Very cool though, it's dead simple and easy enough to use to get past a captive portal then move on to the job at hand, GREAT suggestion Seb!!

<deleted for idiocy>

I've tried a few different SSH clients on Android, the one I settled on was JuiceSSH as it has a really handy popup keyboard extension with all the function keys (arrows, esc, pg dwn/up, Fn, etc). The others I tried were fine for normal use, but brutal to try to navigate elinks with. JuiceSSH worked really well.

Great solution Seb, thanks again for the clever suggestion!!

ETA: it was indeed the terminal emulation setting that was giving me fits. It was set to linux. D'OH! Mucked about with the various settings and xterm256 looks pretty damn nice and readable. Still text, but no more extra weird chars and shitty color schemes. :)

Edited by hfam