TX-Power on newer FW

Mr.miYagi

I would also like to hear some official word about this. Wifipineapple.com claims:

Dual unlocked high gain radios emphasize the strengths of two chips infamous for their hacking potential

So, the radios are unlocked or not?

@m40295

Of you follow the link you will see they are talkin about radio1/wlan1 and high throughput/ connection speed.

Here we are asking why WLAN0 reach only 18dBm, after initially 24dBm. And its also advertised on the website and from Darren. And in the episode metioned before, Darren approve the 24dBi and its written black on white that the adapter can reach that. So im reading something wrong, or your link has nothing to do with that.

@m40295

Of you follow the link you will see they are talkin about radio1/wlan1 and high throughput/ connection speed.

Here we are asking why WLAN0 reach only 18dBm, after initially 24dBm. And its also advertised on the website and from Darren. And in the episode metioned before, Darren approve the 24dBi and its written black on white that the adapter can reach that. So im reading something wrong, or your link has nothing to do with that.

Are you asking why it is still advertised and for sale as being unlocked and able to go up to 24dBm when we know that it can't?

Yes im asking why wlan0 cant go up to 24dBm as advertised and as many from us reached out of the box.

Sebkinne statet that "it can be" a false readout from SW.

But the last answer from Darren was:

Just noticed this. Will get confirmation from hardware and get back here ASAP. Sorry for the delay.

So for me isnt official till now that we cant.

Would be nice to hear if there is a workaround, or we have some very poor powered radios in our pineapples...

So I'm trying to bypass the rather crappy wlan0 on my Pineapple. Using SSH, I tried setting up wlan2 (an alpha card) to be the AP while keeping wlan1 as the client card. Unfortunately, this isn't working. After putting wlan2 into monitor mode, I tried to launch an AP on it with airbase. Although it looked like everything worked fine on the ssh terminal, a quick scan revealed no AP was ever actually created. I kept this initial test simple, not actually having it forward anything. It was only airmon and airbase run in isolation. I shut down wlan0 as well just to be sure.

Exact commands used:

ifconfig wlan2 up

airmon-ng start wlan2

ifconfig //to confirm previous 2 steps worked

airbase-ng -c 11 --essid powertest mon0

Result looks like this:

root@Pineapple:~# airbase-ng -c 11 --essid powertest mon0
18:37:10 Created tap interface at0
18:37:10 Trying to set MTU on at0 to 1500
18:37:10 Trying to set MTU on mon0 to 1800
18:37:10 Access Point with BSSID 00:C0:CA:65:F2:DF started.

Looks normal to me, these steps create an AP (that does nothing, but that's not the point) in Kali. But as said, no AP actually shows up when searching for it with another device. The LED on the alpha card does light up though, so it is active. Anyone have any thoughts? I shut down wlan0 prior to doing this test so that shouldn't be interfering.

Edited by King_Hrothgar

Hey i had this Idea long time ago ;)

Airbase seems to work better with android and Iphone Devices.

But nobody could help....

https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/33031-airbase-ng-works-an-newer-devices/

https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/32942-karma-alternative-more-clients/#entry246141

https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/32349-set-the-correct-routes-for-at0-bounty-for-solution/#entry241646

I use

airbase-ng -E /root/essids -P -C 30 -c 11 wlan1

ifconfig at0 up

brctl addif at0

AP is showing. But Clients dont connect/get a IP.

I think is something whit ip forwarding..

I've re-verified this issue with the hardware engineer and confirmed that the implementation of the AR9331 is in fact set to the the full potential of the soc as per the data sheet. We are aware that there are other implementations of the AR9331 which can achieve a 20dbm txpower, however this is not compliant with the official reference design.

To achieve the 20dbm txpower on these chips software hacks are required which can also be performed on the MK5 and even report an increase in txpower, however the data reported is false due to the fact that the hardware is set to 18dbm.

As with any hardware of this nature EIRP (total output power) may be increased with a higher gain antenna. Specifically for US residents the FCC allows a maximum of 4 watts EIRP for point-to-multipoint. Typically this means an AP with multiple clients. For instance, 18 dBm txpower + 18 dBi antenna = 36 dBm EIRP or 4 Watts.

Additionally for point-to-multipoint links with a 6 dBi antenna an external amplifier may be used to boost the txpower up to 30 dBm.

Moreover point-to-point links are given the ability to add 3 dBi gain over the standard 6dBi antenna for every 1 dBm of txpower under 30, meaning in a p2p scenario the MK5 can achieve 1000 watts with a 42 dBi gain antenna.

Currently the HakShop offers both 9 dBi (500mW) and 16 dBi (2.5 W) antennas and I am considering higher gain dipoles.

In regards to newer or older firmware reporting values, I have confirmed with Seb that the latest firmware reports only the true AR9331 values.

Cheers,

Darren

Thx Darren. At least a explanation. So i hope the Mark VI will have some other chipset, with more power...

I love the pineapple because of the size. Messing with bigger/directional antennas is a no go for me.

Thank you and Seb for all your work. The Mark V is a great piece of hardware and software exept this 18dBm limit.

But let see what the new firmware brings to us.

Ive been waiting for a solution to this for over 6 months.

With manufacturor restrictions getting tighter and still no current hack/workaround. Don't hold your breath, go buy an amp.

http://www.amazon.com/Signal-Booster-Amplifier-Wireless-Antenna/dp/B00CR6V0GS/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1406816232&sr=8-22&keywords=wifi+amplifier

Ive been waiting for a solution to this for over 6 months.

With manufacturor restrictions getting tighter and still no current hack/workaround. Don't hold your breath, go buy an amp.

http://www.amazon.com/Signal-Booster-Amplifier-Wireless-Antenna/dp/B00CR6V0GS/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1406816232&sr=8-22&keywords=wifi+amplifier

have you ever worked with one of these? what about the noise?

Make sure to check your local laws before getting one. The allowable output varies from country.

If not careful you can cause alot of interference with other wifi networks in your area.