toughdrive?

deathwarder

I finally got my parents to allow me to get a usb drive. I decided on the toughdrive. 200x read speeds, and some insane write speed. the 1gb is very affordable, from amazon for around $35. I am looking for a 2gb for 47+shipping or less, or I might go with a different one. If I go with a different one, I need 2gb, at least 15mb write(real, not theoretical), 10mbwrite(same) and

small. suggestions? prices(I mean what did you find for the toughdrive)

Well, you didn't mention those requirements. You just said you wanted a Toughdrive and that's all.

I'm still saying you should get a regular stick. Specifically, a Kingmax SUPER STICK. USB2.0. Waterresistant. Readspeed 18.5, write speed 11.5 and so small you'll have a hard time stepping on one unless you really intended to do so. These things are 34 × 12.4 × 2.2.... Millimeters that is.

Weighs 5 grams and maxes out at 2 gb.

Oh, and it's just under 50 bucks for the 2gb one. Or twice that if you buy it at your regular store, assuming they can get their hands on one. ;)

P.S. 56.16 for the 2GB toughdrive without shipping. But I don't trust this. Looks like they listed the price without VAT or something.

actually, toughdrive is the name of a drive that is manufactured by atp. I am thinking of a patriot xporter, but Im worried that itll be too big. I looked up some benchmarks on the kingmax, and the write is too slow. I mean real, not theoretical. I need something like 15 or higher actual write speeds.

According to this site the Patriot XPorter XT's dimensions are 2.87" L x .95" W x .51" D.

It's up to you to decide that that is (too) bulky.

Can't find this version of the stick on Newegg though. Strip the XT from the end, and you wind up with a plain, normal stick that'll cost you 35 bucks for the 2gb version, but will probably not fit your needs.

How tough does it have to be? I got the cheapest 1GB stick ages ago and after being dropped, stood on, left in the bottom of a bag for weeks, thrown across rooms, taken to nightclubs by accident and left in the back of a univerity computer for weeks it still works fine. Are you planning to take the thing swimming or something?

I don't care too much about the durability(as long as it won't break in a year). I just care about speed and capacity. My requirements are, at least 20MB/s actual read, at least 10, preferably something like 15MB/s read, under 5ms access times, and a good write speed for 4meg files(I have tons of these I want to put on the drive).

These things are all fairly fast, and to be honest I've found that the speed of the computer you use it with weighs in more than the actual stick itself. Just get the biggest one you can as your going to fill it up anyway. Then truecrypt it so your parents can't see inside ;-)

(And if they demand to see inside: Plead the Fourth)

ok, how about the transcend jetflash? The reviews show it at 10MB/s random write, 16MB/s write(not sure what the term is for big files), 20MB/s read plus 14MB/s random read. Those are all for sandra. Do these sound good? It also got a good review for durability. It also is small enough to fit well in a usb port at 61x21x11. Is this a good choice?

USB supports three data rates.

* A Low Speed rate of 1.5 Mbit/s (183 KiB/s) that is mostly used for Human Interface Devices (HID) such as keyboards, mice, and joysticks.

* A Full Speed rate of 12 Mbit/s (1.5 MiB/s). Full Speed was the fastest rate before the USB 2.0 specification and many devices fall back to Full Speed. Full Speed devices divide the USB bandwidth between them in a first-come first-served basis and it is not uncommon to run out of bandwidth with several isochronous devices. All USB Hubs support Full Speed.

* A Hi-Speed rate of 480 Mbit/s (57 MiB/s).

Though Hi-Speed devices are commonly referred to as "USB 2.0", not all USB 2.0 devices are Hi-Speed. A USB device should specify the speed it will use by correct labeling on the box it came in or sometimes on the device itself.

I'd get this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/119415/rb/22701973837

# 12MB/sec. but real good value

Trust me mate, its not as big of an issue as you seem to think it is. Even the cheapest memory sticks I've used haven't been that slow (even the ones that came free with petrol or with a magazine. I know its important to you, but in all honesty I would just consider getting the biggest one you can. The faster ones won't be very much faster, and the bigger ones will hold more MP3's etc.

I don't know what its like in the states, but amazon in the UK are one of the cheaper shops over here. Plus its a fairly well know store so your parents would probably be more whiling to buy from them if there getting this for you (dunno you age, but you seem to young to have a credit card or similar based on your original question)