Mark 5 has Low Signal

ZaraByte

Just curious as to why the signal is so low for the Mark 5 on my Nexus 7 im only getting 2 bars from about less then 60 feet away. I have a Techncolor TC8305C Xfinity bundled cable modem and router that has no gain antenna's sticking out of it and im able to get like 4 full bars from 100 feet roughly.

Any way to increase the signal cause you almost need to be in a small area to have a decent signal

I would assume it possibly has to do with how many walls it has to go thru before the signal reaches the device. I'm curious if anyone happens to have any ideal the range the pineapple should have if it were to be in a open area with it.

One thing i notice to and it could just be the Nexus 7 and not the pineapple is i can sit in my room about 6 feet away from the pineapple with a clear view of it and my nexus 7 will show that the pineapple is not in range.

I'll try a few things maybe later today and see if maybe the wireless built in to the nexus 7 might have a strong of a wireless card to pick up the device.

Don't get me wrong it does show the pineapple after about 1-2 minutes but networks that are over 100 feet away get picked up easy with my nexus 7.

I just did an unscientific test on range. I set up my pineapple on the back porch sitting on one of the grills, then walked as far as I could in the field behind my house while streaming music from my desktop over the pineapple wifi. I ran out of field...

Screenshot_2014-06-15-11-09-15.png

Kinda funny, that dip past -90 was a dip in the field.

IMG_20140615_110934.jpg

Didn't feel like marking up the photo, pineapple is roughly centered in the picture. There's a line of sycamore trees and our cars between me and the pineapple, still have enough signal to stream music.

Screenshot_2014-06-15-11-13-51.png

I had to shut off the wifi so maps would place my location, and not my house... Google earth says it's about 686 feet.

EDIT: I went all the way to my back gate which is at least 200 feet away my signal if i stay inline with where the MK5 is the signal is around -60 which is surprising good for such small antenna's i guess the problem i was having was on my Nexus 7 it justs takes over 30 seconds to pick up the MK5 maybe its cause i was too close.

----

I'm curious to test this out and see myself what would be some good android apps to install that could be used to test about how far away the MK5 can be picked up Anything that can can tell how many feet you went from A to B ? not aware of any apps that can do that but i'll search the Google Play Store i guess.

Edited by ZaraByte

EDIT: I went all the way to my back gate which is at least 200 feet away my signal if i stay inline with where the MK5 is the signal is around -60 which is surprising good for such small antenna's i guess the problem i was having was on my Nexus 7 it justs takes over 30 seconds to pick up the MK5 maybe its cause i was too close.

----

I'm curious to test this out and see myself what would be some good android apps to install that could be used to test about how far away the MK5 can be picked up Anything that can can tell how many feet you went from A to B ? not aware of any apps that can do that but i'll search the Google Play Store i guess.

No, nothing that can tell you how far in feet, signal changes too much due to environmental variables to do such a thing. I use wifi analyzer and inssider.

Yeah i saw you're screen shot of that app so i downloaded it off the Google Play Store.

I did test how far the signal reaches heres a screen shot of my house the Red Circle is where the MK5 is located the Red Arrow is where i was and the signal was around -60 with is what the WiFi Analyzer claims it was of course it did spike from -60 down to -100

hjTrG0h.jpg