Problem with eth0

LS,

I started today with teh pineapple mark v.

I managed to startup and connect to the device over the ethernet cable (eth0).

But.... then it frose in the "entropy bunny". I have no idea what that is. Google didn't help.

Restarting the device didn't help. I managed to do a factory reset with the DIP switches. I can come into the device over the WIFI connection, but not over the eth0 cabled connection.

When I put in the ethernet cable, the amber light burns pretty permanently (with an occasional blink). No connection however to the device.

Pinging over the eth0 doesn't help. Pinging over the WIFI is possible.

I can log in and looking at the network information tells me <see attachment>

The device looks working normaly to me except for the eth0 interface.

My Mac is connecting over the thunderbolt ethernet port, ip address 172.16.42.42 255.255.255.0 dns 8.8.8.8.

I run OSx 10.9.3

Any one an idea how what can be wrong ?

post-47694-0-51423800-1402149219_thumb.p

I don't use Mac gear, however:

- did you set the gateway on that IP stack to 172.16.42.1?

- is there either an A/V product or any sort of software firewall running which would prevent that interface from tossing outbound packets on the interface in question?

The image you shared, along with the amber light, both indicate the physical eth0 is up, which is only going to happen if your Mac eth port is also up.

Hope that helps you get to the bottom of it!

LS,

I started today with teh pineapple mark v.

I managed to startup and connect to the device over the ethernet cable (eth0).

But.... then it frose in the "entropy bunny". I have no idea what that is. Google didn't help.

Restarting the device didn't help. I managed to do a factory reset with the DIP switches. I can come into the device over the WIFI connection, but not over the eth0 cabled connection.

When I put in the ethernet cable, the amber light burns pretty permanently (with an occasional blink). No connection however to the device.

Pinging over the eth0 doesn't help. Pinging over the WIFI is possible.

I can log in and looking at the network information tells me <see attachment>

The device looks working normaly to me except for the eth0 interface.

My Mac is connecting over the thunderbolt ethernet port, ip address 172.16.42.42 255.255.255.0 dns 8.8.8.8.

I run OSx 10.9.3

Any one an idea how what can be wrong ?

attachicon.gifSchermafbeelding 2014-06-07 om 15.36.06.png

N

Thanks for your advise.

In the meantime I managed to get the cabled connection functioning. The trick was creating a "location" in my OSx networking. I used the exact same configuration for the wireless and the Thunderbolt ethernet, so it looks like mr Apple has its own idea about my network configuration..... It also turns out i do not need to set a gateway address. If I do things don't work ?!

Anyway, one step ahead, new problem ?

I can't get the pineapple to send traffic to my mac. I managed to log in over ssh to the pineapple. When I ping the pineapple itself (172.16.42.1) it works (so ping is accepted), but when I ping my Mac (172.16.42.42) i get no response. I already disabled trendmicro and also the built in firewall. No success.

I checked the route table:

root@Pineapple:~# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
default 172.16.42.42 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 br-lan
172.16.42.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 br-lan
root@Pineapple:~#

Anyone an idea on how to proceed ? (and for the time being i'm switching over to windows :-( to do the upgrade of the firmware, hope that works)

Regards, Maarten

• 2 months later...
Adding the Alpha, set in client mode making the iNet connection, has my iMac flashing the MKV.

Before as soon as I turned on ICS from System Prefs all comms froze up.

Instead I set the gateway and ICS from the network tile on the PineApple. The rest of the settings were the same as have been discussed for the Mac.

Setup:|

— late Dec 2012 iMac / quad core I7 / 16 GB RAM / 10.9.4

— port 1471 Safari

-- port 22 Terminal —> SSH

— ethernet —> 172.16.42..42

• 3 weeks later...

+1 - I have experienced the same problem with a macbook pro. I have also had some problems transferring large files between the pineapple and the mac using sftp. It tends to run the CPU on the pineapple to 100% and eventually fails. File transfer seems to work much better on my Kali Linux machine (which is a VM on the Mac). I am new to the pineapple - lots more playing around to do...