Connecting the Pineapple to a HotSpot - Issue

joharbi

Hi!

I'm trying to connect my Pineapple to a HotSpot that requires users to accept their policy (the user needs to click accept so their mac address will be allowed).

How can I do this on "behalf" of the Pineapple?

Tried to change the mac address of my laptop to the same as the Pineapple, then accept and hope the mac address of the pineapple would be accepted right away. Didn't work. Wierd... Any suggestions?

Edited by joharbi

A possibility, if the pineapple can run the dependencies:

https://github.com/ussjoin/portalsmash

First line of readme:

Utility to connect to open WiFi and click through "captive portal"-type agreements.

Dependencies: Ruby Mechanize and Ruby Trollop. Mechanize is kind of a heavy library, but PortalSmash needs it to parse and interact with (often really badly coded) captive portal pages.

Potential infusion port?

I was having some issues with this yesterday when I first checked into my hotel. I thought I was able to resolve it by pointing my computer's dns setup past the pineapple to the hotel gateway, but then it seemed like it was being inconsistent (plus it was kinda annoying), so I just added the relevant entry to my hosts file.

Edited by rpimonitrbtch

I made a thread earlier about this.

I had the same issue. I seemingly resolved it by changing my laptop mac with macchanger to the client mode radio's MAC on the pineapple, connecting to the hotspot and accepting the EULA, then disconnecting and connecting the pineapple back up. That allowed clients connected to the pineapple internet access(including my own laptop) Usually there is a MAC address lease time for these public hotspots that need top be accepted upon connecting and/or every hour or so.

although, while running 1.4.1, I went back to the same hotspot I had the issue with and it connected and allowed internet access just fine without having to do the Macchanger dance with my laptop. So maybe it was a different issue. Either way, I know some Public wifi hotspots (especially hotel wifi) will do this.

Edited by KenPC

Hello everyone. - This captive portal issue prevents me from getting internet access to my pineapple, as it requires a username and password. I cant seem to find any way to provide this via the pineapple.
I also cant join the "Hidden" networks around...

is there a way to join hidden networks with the pineapple? - manually enter SSID, encryption type and password?

***Update***

1st issue : could not connect to iphone hotspot. - turns out the ssid had a silly default ssisd like billy's iphone - the 's causes issues. change name to a single word- SOLVED

2nd issue. authenticating with a captive portal via pineapple client connection.

this problem prevented PA from getting internet access on a captive portal connection - with no formal method to authenticate via a browser I tried the above option "portalsmash" - if succesful I would need to create a file with the authenticated details in a .yaml file - the entire project was utterly confusing and in the end decided to start again with a different approach. PA is a linux box right? shouldnt be too hard to put firefox on there - but fire fox is huge - and all i need is to authenticate... then i recalled the old days where my teacher showed me command line browser...

Yes this worked perfectly.

/>opkg install elinks

then.....

/>elinks www.google.com

The CLI elinks browser then resolved to the captive portal. entered details and woolah - redlight disco on the PA started up.

SOLVED

So this has prompted me to attempt my first infusion... elinks - wonder how hard this is gunna be? lol

***Update***

1st issue : could not connect to iphone hotspot. - turns out the ssid had a silly default ssisd like billy's iphone - the 's causes issues. change name to a single word- SOLVED

2nd issue. authenticating with a captive portal via pineapple client connection.

this problem prevented PA from getting internet access on a captive portal connection - with no formal method to authenticate via a browser I tried the above option "portalsmash" - if succesful I would need to create a file with the authenticated details in a .yaml file - the entire project was utterly confusing and in the end decided to start again with a different approach. PA is a linux box right? shouldnt be too hard to put firefox on there - but fire fox is huge - and all i need is to authenticate... then i recalled the old days where my teacher showed me command line browser...

Yes this worked perfectly.

/>opkg install elinks

then.....

/>elinks www.google.com

The CLI elinks browser then resolved to the captive portal. entered details and woolah - redlight disco on the PA started up.

SOLVED

So this has prompted me to attempt my first infusion... elinks - wonder how hard this is gunna be? lol

You are having issues with single quotes? What firmware version are you on? I don't have these issues and connecting to the ssid "billy's iphone" (no double quotes) works fine here..

In regards to elinks, yeah, I suggested this in another thread until we ship the portalsmash port. Stay tuned :)

Best Regards,

Sebkinne