SMA and RP-SMA, Male or female?

viper474

I recently received a Yagi antenna that I had purchased from the Hak Shop. Now I'm trying to figure out what I need to connect it to my alfa awus036h. I've attached a couple photos showing the yagi and alfa connectors. From the information I could gather from wikipedia, these have SMA Male (Yagi) and RP-SMA Female (Alfa). So to link these together I'd need a SMA Female to RP-SMA Male, correct?

Is it common for the AWUS036H to have a RP-SMA Female connector? Just curious, since the connector between the alfa and yagi seems uncommon. Thanks.

post-47611-0-51716700-1401227708_thumb.j

Yes, the adapter you described: SMA Female to RP-SMA Male, should do the trick.

What is happening is the mix between SMA and RP-SMA.

The Yagi, and Pineapple Mark V use the SMA standard because it's simple a more professional and better solution for connectors.

Alfa and other wireless radios use RP-SMA, which is more common in the consumer world.

I bought my Yagi (Non-Hackshop) for use with my Alfas and it has the RP-SMA Male to directly connect to my Alfa.

Ah, ok. I guess I might experience some signal loss then for having to use the adapter. I still supported the show, so I don't feel that bad about it. Going to find out next week how well it works when I get the adapter in.

The adapter losses you speak of are negligible assuming the adapter isn't a dead short or an open. Don't laugh, I had one open up like making a huge attenuator and I couldn't figure out why. I was losing so many dB but I would still see a tiny signal, just enough to tease me. Then I ohmed it out and I quickly find myself saying things like "drat" and "curses"... The next sound you heard was the adapter hitting the rim into the shit can.

Yes RP SMA blows, but exists because some genius thought they could stop us from doing exactly what we are doing. Those fools. What you seek is this little gem, so now at least you know they exist. :cool: You just gotta know where to look. - KD6W RP-SMA2.jpg

At a flea market of course! Some dude had a couple of tables with rows of little bins with mostly connectors and adapters and after about 10 minutes of staring at all the little goodies, there they were! I think the 2 cost me a whopping $10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...