A decent desktop?

james92

I'v been thinking about getting a desktop for awhile would love to play some good pc game's and be able to run a few virtual machine's for testing on but don't really know much about hardware and compatibility stuff also I need to try do it as cheap as possible :grin: under €800 if that's possible.

What would you guy's suggest and where do you think I should get it from?

Get a big cheap shell coolermaster, mine allows easy access for the hard drives to slide in and out. Good fan locations

get a solid state drive, only big enough to install your os

I would get last years amd 6 core cpu. Good bang for the buck.

go big on your video card.

cheap on the basics...

The cooler master is nice :grin:

Why just enough space for the OS I was thinking about dual booting have windows for gaming and to run VM's when ever I'm testing stuff and then linux for general use and maybe a bit of sneaky gaming in between studying ha

What model is the processor and where should I get it from should I get this stuff second hand or should I get it new

And when you say go big on the gpu what one's are decent cheap and also work with linux :grin:

Also what sort of motherboard should I choose I really haven't got a clue about them

Edited by james92

I like cuda gpu cracking... so I went nvidia with cuda support...

I would look for a 6 core amd cpu... I spent 250 us dollars two years ago... you could find one around 100

I also paid for 60 gig ssd 2 years ago and now the price has gone way down...

You will love this setup

Ye I can't wait man there's so many amazing pc game's I'v never played and playing with cuda would be interesting :grin:

what do you think of these

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/ultra-fast-six-core-8gb-gaming-pc/5370092

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/new-custom-gaming-pc-4-4ghz/5536428

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/fx-pc-gaming-6-core/5479292

I know they don't have nvidia but I could always get one separate and I think I will get a small ssd and just use an external hdd for all my stuff

Edited by james92

watched that video and made a set up on the site cost's €724.81 here's the link http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3OMWa does that seem like a good setup?

Not sure why it wont let me pick any nvidia gpu's can you have more then one gpu aswell like could I have a amd 1 and a nvidia 1 or is that crazy

Could be me, but I see a price of nearly 1000 dollars, including discounts!

What I would change:

Kill the Sound card as there's one on the mobo itself (-18)

Kill the network adapter as there's one on the mobo itself (-30)

Replace the PNY SSD with an M500 from Crucial for improved performance (+10)

Drop one of the DIMMs. 8GB is completely sufficient for now and will be cheaper when you buy it later when you actually know you need it, IF you need it (-70)

Replace the 770 with a PowerColor AXR9 280X 3GBD5-T2DHE/OC. NVidia has CUDA, AMD has OpenCL. The latter is an actual standard. In games they're comparable, in price AMD's WAY cheaper (-60)

Replace the Seasonic with a Corsair CX600M. Main difference is that the Corsair is 80+ Bronze but the higher running cost can't compete against the lower purchase price (-20)

Combines to: -188

And that puts you pretty much bang on your 800 bucks budget.

I made the change's you recommended the price is looking so much better €583.67 I really can't wait now the next 6 weeks are going to be agonizing ha :grin:

At the bottom of the page it says error:

Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply may not provide sufficient wattage. The estimated part list maximum power draw is 739W.

Should I swap it for something bigger I seen somebody else's setup on the site and they had water cooling :grin:

With the powercolor gpu would I be able to use that for brute forcing?

I'v been learning a bit of coding for awhile I didn't know opencl was something you can write tool's for that's so cool I would love to try write my own brute forcing tool would be a brilliant learning experience as well

What does the powercolor use is it opencl or something else?

Edited by james92

If you're going SLI you'd better get a more powerful PSU as the thing suggest. The Corsair CX750 ought to do it. Interestingly it has the same price as the 600 model. Go figure.