Using pineapple with a windows tablet

What a peculiar question...

You have a tablet, a pineapple, a usb to lan adapter and so presumably also some lan cable and your question effectively is if, using this, there are sufficient parts to provide power to the Pineapple. Is that right?

If so, the no, I don't think so. here's why. Anstandard USB port is rated for 0.5A or 2.5 watts. The fast charging ports do 1A or 5 watts. Hell, an iPhone charger will deliver no more than 2A or 10 watts. Let's assume you were to get those 10 watts out of your USB port (which isn't very likely), this power would:

1. Be used to power the usb to lan adapter itself

2. Need to be put on the cable in a PoE fashion and I have yet to see one that does this at all

3. Still be insufficient to power the pineapple since it will take up to 12 watts in operation.

People have reported success running their pineapple off of laptop USB ports, but there is also a substantial amount of failures. Tablets tend to be considerably less powerful. And that still leaves you with the problem of finding a PoE usb to lan adapter. No, I don't think this will work.

Cooper,

You assumed he meant to try to power the Pineapple via a USB to LAN adapter? Why would he need that if there is a USB to pineapple barrel cable?

winkillerx,

I'm going to assume you meant can you control/connect to the Pineapple via that cable. I don't own a Windows tablet but assuming it's just a lan connection and you can change the settings in the control panel; I don't see why not. The better question is why do you want to? So that you can use wlan0 and wlan1 simultaneously?

You assumed he meant to try to power the Pineapple via a USB to LAN adapter? Why would he need that if there is a USB to pineapple barrel cable?

Indeed. Hence, perculiar question.

I'm going to assume you meant can you control/connect to the Pineapple via that cable.

Ah, like so. Then it's a matter of having a cross-cable (or is the pineapple auto-sensing in that regard? If so a regular cable should work just as well) and you should either set up both ends with their own static IP. From that point on it's green lights all the way to the finish line.