Home Router Internet connection sharing to Pineapple MKV

Hey guys,

Just received 2 (one's for a buddy) MKV pineapples. A big thanks to Darren, Sebkinne, Whistle Master, Foxtrot, Thesugarat, and everyone else in the MKV community working on making this project! So, I've read the forums and played with my new MKV for days now... Still need some help please:

So I setup my wlan0 wireless AP.

Then setup Wlan1 as a client of my wireless home router and experienced the slow speeds discussed here.

So instead of using wlan1 for internet access I'd like to use the ethernet port. It makes the most sense for me to plug the MKV into my home router that is running DHCP in the 192.168.1.x range.

I plugged it in and the MKV and home router both have DHCP running - problem #1. Plus I'm not sure how to set the pineapple to use the ethernet port's internet. I assume something like "route add 192.168.1.0 br-lan default" and do I also need NAT? And also disable the pineapple DHCP server for eth0? Are my guesses correct? I need your help to make this work.

Thanks guys,

Foxy

P.s. even though I sound like a real noob I can at least ssh in and run commands if you can give me some help! THANKS!

I would also like to know this. For the most part, the Pineapple seems to handle wireless better than my current router, thus it would make sense to use it for wireless while not doing various penetration tests. I have also had the slow speeds linking WLAN1 to my router, and have tried to hook it via ethernet into a port on the router, doesn't work. I can't configure the router to use the 172.16.42.42 address, as it also uses the 192.168.1.x range.
I hope there can be a way to do this, as it would make things a lot easier and faster.

Thanks to all!

We are releasing a new firmware upgrade soon which will allow us to push an update to the network tile for setting this type of connection up.

Within this week it'll be a couple of button presses away!

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

• 3 months later...

We are releasing a new firmware upgrade soon which will allow us to push an update to the network tile for setting this type of connection up.

Within this week it'll be a couple of button presses away!

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Thanks for letting us know, cant wait for the update.

Thanks for letting us know, cant wait for the update.

It was back in May that he said "Within this week it'll be a couple of button presses away". Since that apparently didn't happen, I wouldn't count on it happening for a while. :( I would be curious to know what happened, and if this is still on the to-do list. I still haven't gotten it to work the manual way.

You really want a pentest box sitting on your internal network? After the recent exploit? buy a freakin adapter they are like ten bucks.

I just got my alfa whatever the hell it is replacement dongle today. The one they said would fix the slow connection speeds? HOLY CRAP it is showing networks I've never seen before. Absolutely you want this thing. It's in the hak5 shop, like $20 or something. Buy that. Leave your internal network internal. $0.02

Sorry guys, it got lost up during the defcon dev cycles. It's in the pipeline and will be available soon.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Great!

You really want a pentest box sitting on your internal network? After the recent exploit? buy a freakin adapter they are like ten bucks.

I just got my alfa whatever the hell it is replacement dongle today. The one they said would fix the slow connection speeds? HOLY CRAP it is showing networks I've never seen before. Absolutely you want this thing. It's in the hak5 shop, like $20 or something. Buy that. Leave your internal network internal. $0.02

I have that adapter, and I agree, it's totally awesome, at least when I plug it into my laptop. But I'm getting a major slowdown when I use it with the pineapple and then connect to the pineapple via wifi. I don't really get your point about leaving your internal network internal though. Whether it's via ethernet or wifi, we're still talking about connecting the pineapple to another network. Same basic deal.