Problems with the pineapple infinite boot loop?

Noticed the other day that after leaving my pineapple powered on for a while it would become unresponsive. Tried to boot it up recently, and it goes into what appears to be an infinite boot loop. I see the green light steady, and the blue light keeps blinking. Then it flashes one red light, and repeats the process. I tried to use the dip switches to wipe the memory on it and start over, but it doesn't seem to have worked. The whole time I was trying to get it to wipe it's memory it just keept repeating this light combo. Every time I download the firmware from the pineapple website, and try to upload it using the recovery web interface it says the firmware is unsupported. I am getting very frustrated with this. Why is it not working? Why would the firmware be unsupported?

I am finally able to log in on it again. I have no idea why it was unresponsive for so long. I am pretty burnt out right now, I think I am going to take a break. If any of you has any explanations for why it was unresponsive for so long though, I am all ears. This problem might reoccur.

It is entirely likely. Maybe I need to look into getting a little fan, or instead of using my laptop cooling pad on the stable laptop, maybe use it on the pineapple. Is there any way to know for sure it is overheating?

Edited by overwraith

The reason the upgrade.bin files do not work is because you didn't follow the instructions properly. You are only able to use the EXACT file we supply in the instructions.

Any other file (even if the version is the same one) will not work.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

I don't see in the instructions which file, from which site to go to (am using manual that came with pineapple). Which page are you looking on. I am looking on page 18. I went to this page:

https://wifipineapple.com/?downloads

I don't think this little manual even says where to acquire the firmware. No links.

Edited by overwraith

I can only intermittently log into the pineapple. I am done fucking with it for now. I will attempt to return it, even though we probably can't anymore. My dad is the one who bought it for me. I wish I had dumped the money into buying it into buying a laptop, and simply putting the open wrt OS on it instead of this thing.

Thank you for helping. I was using a different cable that I had bought online. It was a 2m USB to Type M Barrel 5v DC power cable. Apparently it was not the right one. Was powering from my laptop. It is really strange, because the pineapple booted a couple of times using this cable. As soon as I switched back to the wall power supply that was provided with the pineapple, all the intermittent connectivity problems went away. I think this is what the problem was. If this was the wrong type of cable, what type should we get? Now I can't provide free WiFi to the neighbors :|

I do not think problems will persist, but if they do I will post here again.

I'm glad it turned out the be a power issue. As to why this is an issue:

The WiFi Pineapple MKV requires at least 5V 1A to operate. I would even suggest 5V 2A though for anything that requires load. A lot of USB ports, especially on laptops, are not capable of giving more than 500mAh at 5V. This may simply not be enough to drive the WiFi Pineapple MKV. Please see the FAQ (power, battery) for more details.

It could also be the length of the cable. My USB to M barrel is 10cm long and works fine on most machines. 2m might be a little long.. Note however that this isn't the WiFI Pineapple's fault.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Maybe a suggestion to the hardware guys to include a led that blinks when the provided power dips below a certain threshold? Not a clue how feasible this is.

Note however that this isn't the WiFI Pineapple's fault.

Yeah I know. It just gets a little hopeless sometimes when I can't figure out what the problem is. I will try and buy a suitable cable for laptop to pineapple operations. At least now the community knows that this is one possible issue, and can help others that have this same issue.