You are given $250.00 to spend on technology.....what would you buy?

TYTechnolust

Yup you would have years of fun with this $250 well spent green ones on the hackRF one and ham it up! oh don't forget to get a ham license too as the hackRF one can transmit too.

The hackRF is pretty nifty and all, but I don't really see myself taking advantage of one in the near future. If I was spending it on ham gear, I'd probably get a Sena SR10 so that I could use a bluetooth headset with my radios.

Speaking of bluetooth, the Ubertooth One is a pretty good buy as well. There are lots of things using bluetooth these days, and not a whole lot of people playing in that space.

I kind of like toys. I might buy some Cubelets if I had money to blow.

You could get a Pebble watch. I own one, and it's pretty fantastic.

The ISOstick is a surprisingly useful tool to keep in your kit.

$250 is nearly enough to get you a tiny 3D printer. Or for that price you could probably build your own.

I'd surf EBay for a decent laptop for around $100-$150 and with the rest I'd set it up with some RAM and maybe a small 64GB SSD. Then I'd install Manjaro on it and have some fun surfing the web.

Like TN.Frank I'd get a small laptop. I've got my eye on an Acer Aspire One ZG5 which, of all people, my sister has. I fell in love with it the second I saw it. They're only available second-hand (=cheapish) so I'd use the remaining cash to upgrade it with a big-ish ssd, max out the ram and maybe replace the mini-pcie network adapter with something a little more potent if need be (it should be an Atheros in there).

The end result would be a small clamshell laptop comparable to the first Asus EEE PC (if anyone remembers) on the outside but far more potent on the inside.

Like TN.Frank I'd get a small laptop. I've got my eye on an Acer Aspire One ZG5 which, of all people, my sister has. I fell in love with it the second I saw it. They're only available second-hand (=cheapish) so I'd use the remaining cash to upgrade it with a big-ish ssd, max out the ram and maybe replace the mini-pcie network adapter with something a little more potent if need be (it should be an Atheros in there).

The end result would be a small clamshell laptop comparable to the first Asus EEE PC (if anyone remembers) on the outside but far more potent on the inside.

an acer aspire one AO531h and the acer aspire one 522 both good and got both atheros and the latter has hdmi out and max 720p resolution max 4gb ddr3 ram and the former a 3g slot behind battery

labtop with decent nvidia graphics card... my 560m gtx 13000 psk

I paid a buttload for mine... I'm surr u can find one at that price...

just blow out the dust and you will be surprised to see performance boost... "its alive"

He did say 250 bucks... Macs don't tend to start anywhere near that in my experience... And honestly, for hacking, I feel there are more capable solutions.

Yeah thats right for only $250 bucks, well i have an asus eeepc and its a nice little beast but not much real estate of a screen, laptops aside what other goodies there is to get i am in on finding something else to get lol.....

Until you want to do something non-mac like with it. Apple has really gone the way of Microsoft in the last 10 years or so.

Non-mac like what ? if the mac runs windows via bootcamp and now we have vmware to do the job too, unless you want to access express card, pcmcia or any other legacy connections.

I see that now panasonic tough books are all over the place on ebay now since the gov spit out there stock of police car mounted ones and upgraded to the new world order terminator style systems with integrated everything from a to z, what i am trying to say that you can get one of these 2ghz core 2 duo rugged in good shape for around 150 max and new battery for 40 and a new power adapter for another 35 all for less than 250 and you get a nice windows machine and linux that you can use as a weapon or a chair or a door stop if your not using it for computing lol

Edited by Molotof

Non-mac like what ? if the mac runs windows via bootcamp and now we have vmware to do the job too, unless you want to access express card, pcmcia or any other legacy connections.

I see that now panasonic tough books are all over the place on ebay now since the gov spit out there stock of police car mounted ones and upgraded to the new world order terminator style systems with integrated everything from a to z, what i am trying to say that you can get one of these 2ghz core 2 duo rugged in good shape for around 150 max and new battery for 40 and a new power adapter for another 35 all for less than 250 and you get a nice windows machine and linux that you can use as a weapon or a chair or a door stop if your not using it for computing lol

Toughbooks are awesome. Used to have one that I used for wardriving. The nice thing about the military grade laptops is they can dim the screens down to "night vision goggles" safe. Really helps when driving at night, most normal laptops are still too bright at their lowest setting.

As for non-mac like, proper ICS is a good example. Even running kismet natively is a pain in the ass to set up now.

I just saw an announcement for the Archos Arcbook which is an ARM-based netbook.

Modest specs, modest price tag, good battery, shitty keyboard (qwerty or nothing I say). At an expected retail price of 170 euro it's within budget although you'll want to get a high spec SD card to expand the storage in a performant way which will up the price a tad.

What saddens me about this product is that my beloved Odroid would be about 60% faster than this thing (1.2GHz dual core vs 1.7GHz quad core). Still reckon it's a decent device to own...