Go to hell w8, help installing ubuntu

geektm

Hello buddies of hak5 ! I just bought a new laptop **YAAY**. It comes with w8. So i decided to install ubuntu and kali linux for do my homework stuff. I began installing ubuntu and it doesnt recognize windows 8. I started looking for a fix and I saw a man who desactive fastboot and boot control. I attempt to enter in bios but i couldn't. I dont know why after set bios in default and update my windows i can't enter in bios before boot. ( I entered before for change boot shedule).

I saw an option called advanced boot in w8 wich allows me to" configure uefi " and enter in bios. I tryed to desactivate fastboot and boot control but they were locked.

Im afraid of change the partition of windows and fuck off the computer. If i change the size of the w8 partition, it will erase any thing ?

My idea is resize windows partition, leave 100gb to ubuntu and 50gb to kali. I dunno if changing the size with ubuntu it erase something and i'll be not be able to boot nothing. I need w8 in my computer, because its the only way i know to enter in bios.

in adittion, with uefi and the shit stuff wich integrates w8 i dunno if grub will work

What should i do ?

i really need advices from someone who dominates this, i'd be grateful with any help.

pd: Sorry for my horrible english, i'm spanish so it's hard for me.

How i did it:

1- First of all, i resized the main w8 partition leaving free space for other s.o.(i did it with ubuntu live usb)

2- Then i installed ubuntu in a partition in uefi mode.

3- After install it boots automatically w8, so i went to boot menu and i saw a boot option called ubuntu.

4- I configure boot menu for automatically boot windows, if i want ubuntu i have to press f12 and choose boot ubuntu.

5- When i try to install kali linux, the laptop didn't recognize it. I found a fix in this web:https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?271-How-to-EFI-install-Kali-Linux

6- i tried to install kali in uefi mode but it give me error, so i desactivate uefi mode.

7- After that, it booted usb kali live. Then i installed it.

8- If i want to use kali i have to desactivate uefi and it boots kali, if i want w8 or ubuntu i have to enable uefi and choose in boot menu, its a little bit crap dont have grub but it's the only way i get it working.

If someone has a better idea of how to do it please leave me a comment below, Thanks for the support of the forum, i'm really gratefull =)

3-

Edited by geektm

What version of Win8 you got, If its RT your screw... if its Pro there's hope, well hope of getting rid of it but as for dual boot I think MS made a secure boot loader so you will need to have it installed on his own disk and lunch the w8 bootloader trough grub bootloader located on the other disk...

On my part I formated it and installed ubuntu :) Not touching w8 with a 10" pole... I'm not providing support other than removing it ;)

Edited by madhak

Another very useful piece of information would be what is the make and model of your laptop? We can't really give a whole lot of help without knowing stuff like that

thanks for repply. I have an acer 570G. I'm a fucking idiot, i can boot on bios, the fact is that when appears the acer logo is loading windows so i have to press supr before. This laptop boots to fast for me ;). I have windows 8.1, it doesnt show more info.

another question is if can i do a booteable installation usb of w8 if i screw the w8 sistem ?

Soo for install ubuntu i have to select the big partition, press change and resize it. At the free space i have to put a swap partition and other with the so ?

Then for install kali have i to put 2 other partition or is valid the swap partition of ubuntu ?

You might be able to virtualize windows 8, blow away all the partitions and remove the secure boot bullcrap. Then install ubuntu/kali and use windows as a vm. You should be able to change the boot mode in the bios to legacy if needed. I just set up kali on a dell xps 12 convertible that way, but I didn't keep windows.

i want to keep windows, i just resize the partitions and i installed ubuntu. When i booted it doesnt appears grub and it boots w8. I went to bios, and i desactivated uefi boot. Then i couldnt boot any thing. I dont know how can i get grub working. Now i activated uefi boot and im using w8...

The problem is that i want w8 in this machine and others so working, and is very hard...

HELP !

I finally had installed all the operative sistems in my laptop. I have ubuntu, w8, and kali

I'll try to do a guide for install the so's. I had a few problems and i found some fixes.

Now i only have one issue, i have 50gb in free space without partition, i want to link it with ubuntu partition. Can i resize it and link that free space in the ubuntu partition ?

I just tried to link it but i cant. I dunno how to link the two "free space ". I only can select one to reinstall ubuntu

I'm really gratefull with the support guys !

Edited by geektm

I finally had installed all the operative sistems in my laptop. I have ubuntu, w8, and kali

I'll try to do a guide for install the so's. I had a few problems and i found some fixes.

Now i only have one issue, i have 50gb in free space without partition, i want to link it with ubuntu partition. Can i resize it and link that free space in the ubuntu partition ?

I just tried to link it but i cant. I dunno how to link the two "free space ". I only can select one to reinstall ubuntu

I'm really gratefull with the support guys !

See if you can get it to boot with a gparted live cd. You can then extend the linux partitions to fill up the free space. You might even be able to do it from one of your already installed linux distros, but you will only be able to mess with the other operating systems, not the one you're booted from.