Crash log — where is it?

fanbase

My pineapple crashes and reboots a lot. I'd like to figure out why. Common sense tells me to begin by sifting through something like a system log that might detail the events that led to each crash.

The trouble is, when I look at the log available through the web interface after a crash, the first entry only begins 0:38 seconds after the reboot. No events are listed prior to it:

Jan 1 01:00:38 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 30.720000] cfg80211: (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp)

This makes it difficult to determine what precipitated the uncommanded reboot.

How and where do I find log files that would detail events that are occurring prior to the uncommanded reboots?

If the answer involves the Log Check infusion or the "custom tail" option, perhaps someone could steer me toward resources that might help in understanding how to use it? I really don't know where to begin.

Hey Fanbase,

Can you tell us a bit more about what you are doing when it crashes?

The only real way to have the logs you want is by using a serial cable. That way you can see the entire log. Make sure you have a long scrollback / save the scrollback to a file.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

It crashes and reboots when I use the SSLstrip infusion, and that alone (besides Karma). I'll let it run a few hours, check in later, and find that the sslstrip log has restarted with something like the name "log_70." The syslog confirms that an uncommanded reboot occurred at some point since I last checked in on the pineapple. (Incidentally, the sslstrip logs themselves show quite a few errors like "cannot concatenate 'str' and 'NoneType' objects" and "'twisted.internet.error.DNSLookupError'"— not sure if that is related.)

It also seems to crash and reboot rather more promptly when I try to combine sslstrip with anything else: nmap, Trap Cookies, urlsnarf...

I'll be in Hong Kong next week; I'll look into buying a serial TTL cable while I'm there. Sounds like a project.

In the near term, any insight on what might be causing these uncommanded reboots — and how to avoid them?

Edited by fanbase