Talk To A User Using Terminal And Ip

Retr0

Hello,

I had this question for a long time now and I want to talk to one of my friends who does not have a phone. He only has a computer, I would usually email him but it takes forever to talk back and forth. I am looking for a way to talk to my friend using terminal and his IP sort of like NetCat but over a different network, because He lives in Canada and I live in California.

Edited by Prooakley

Download and install an irc client of your choosing

Start it

Connect to a server (/server irc.hak5.org)

Join a channel (is created if it didn't exist yet) (/join MyKickAssChannel)

Make sure the other guy does the same

Profit!

Dude, it is what you're looking for. Check out the program called irssi for a terminal irc client.

Or is the problem that there's a server you both have to connect to as opposed to going 1-on-1? Note that you can trivially set up your own IRC server. It takes next to nothing in system resources.

Talk would be the easiest of the two I think. You'd have to have a shell on the same machine though. So basically SSH into his box (or he into yours) and type "talk otherguy" where "otherguy" is his or her login name.

Edited by Cooper

You keep asking about other countries. The Internet doesn't care what country you are in. He could be on Mars - if he has an IP and can reach the Internet, you can chat.

Use netcat, forward ports on your (and possibly his) machine and done. Netcat doesn't care about countries either ;)

Best regards,

Sebkinne

You need to know the other person's IP or the other person needs to know yours. In the case of talk the one with the known IP needs to allow the other login access to his machine (which I wouldn't recommend with anybody but real friends, not some bloke you met in a pub of a 'girl' that claims she fancies you over email). The outsider logs into the machine using the login provided and from that point on it's a quick 'talk myusername' to get going. You could even put this in the .bashrc script or some such to force the login to immediately result in that and if there's no answer the connection is broken off again.

If, however, you do not trust the person to the point where you'd leave him/her alone in a pub for 30 minutes with your wallet left on the table, you need something else. That Hak.5 video you posted should work just fine. You have to be on the same network, but "The Internet" is a network I hear many people are connected to. The point she's making is that there must be a port on one side of the connection that the other person can connect to, so that port must be accessible to the internet at large. Pick something random, high (between 30000-60000) and if possible firewalled so that only the expected other individual's IP can connect to it.

Haha I keep saying he is in another country because some one might read this form and not see that he is in another country and they might say oh use the wall command or some outer command that only uses the local computer

Reminds me of a former boss who was worried that accessing a US website would incur international telephone rate on his connection (this is ISDN times....). Wooosh!

I have told you already... you need to port forward and there will be no problem...

Start by typing ipconfig in cmd

Http://192.168.1.1

This will log you into your router. Now find the otion for port forwarding or application and gaming.

Your router needs to no your local ip and port

Once configured start nc -l -p 69 and now with the link below test your port to see if its open

http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scan/

you have a server and a client...

The server application will open a listener port 69...

nc -l -p 69

The client will now connect to the server ip and port...

nc 192.168.1.101 -p 69

If you are the server then u must port forward... if you are incapable of this task then ask your friend to be the server and port forward his router...

I provide you with proper direction. Move forword or move on...

Edited by i8igmac

Okay I have tried this and it is not working. I forwarded the ports on my house and my neighbors house and did the commands but it won't work. the computers will not see the message. Could I use the talk command? Or the write command how would i do it with one of those commands?

Edited by Prooakley

If you receive nothing you've set up the port-forwarding wrong. Put a webserver like Apache on there and see if the other person can see it respond to him. A socket is 2-way so one needs to await the connection (and the port-forwarding deals with being able to reach it from the internet) the other one can just connect to it and from that point on you can both send and receive.

I know how to port forward. It's just when we tried it did not work, nothing happened. thats why i want to know if i could do it with the talk command, or write command, or maybe even mail command if i could send mail to an ip.