lessons learned for newbie?

cheeto

Hi guys,

Great forum!!

I just ordered my Mark V. However before I receive it I’m reading through the forum to see what I should and should not do. I would really appreciate your suggestions on what to avoid doing etc.

My doubts:

• Can I download the Mark V instruction manual?
  • Once I boot for the 1st time & install the firmware, can I then REMOVE the supplied 2gb SD and replace it with a new one?
  • If replacing with a new class 10 SD, does Mark V format it for me? (in ext4 or fat32)
  • Should the SD have the firmware files on it at all times Or could it be left empty?

Thanks for reading.

cheeto

Glad to hear you've ordered a pineapple!

1) Here is the location of the manual included with the Pineapple: http://wifipineapple.com/mk5/booklet.pdf

2) Absolutely, in fact you're encouraged to do so! After first boot and initial setup, you can go straight ahead and whip out the sd card. The pineapple will actually function just fine without an sd card, but the internal storage is quite limited so thats why nearly everyone just leaves an sd in.

3) It won't do it automatically, you just have to go into the Configuration Tab and click a single button. Very straightforward.

4) Nope, not at all. You can leave them on, or delete them. They'll serve no purpose just sitting there on the SD card.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Xcellerator

Thanks Xcellerator!!

Great information. A common newbie mistake is getting excited unboxing and not reading the manual thus resulting in bricking etc..
I'm going to read this manual at least 5 times before I power on.

Thanks again!!!

cheeto

Suggestion for Hack5: just an idea, but how about sending the pdf manual link after the purchase is made. It might avoid some headaches.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!

Quick question regarding Dip switches.

I assume if you don't have any issues with the device, just leave the Dip switches in the up position (1), right?

thanks!!

cheeto

Correct, you should not need the dip switches till you intend to add some customization to the V, such as on boot instructions.

The key to learning the V is patience and reading current/past forum posts. Its all here. It make take several trials to get something working but it will. Focus on one infusion at a time......get one to work......like karma.......then get sslstrip to work..........then perhaps jammer. Trying all at once can lead to a mess and then where do you begin to troubleshoot.

The V is a lot of fun with patience and reading. Enjoy!

Thanks guys,

Patience is fundamental. I've read several issues, here on this forum, with the Mark V. The majority of them seem to be 1st boot (firmware update)

The instruction manual is very clear. I hope I don't run into any problems. :)

If I decide to SSH (I have unbuntu server installed on a netbook) no need to mess with the Dip switches, right?

Also, Will wpa cracking only work when WPS is enabled? Or will it also work with non WPS routers? (using Reaver or Bully I assume)

Thanks guys, I really can't wait to get my hands on this thing.

Cheers!

After the initial boot, SSH will always start by default, unless you were to set a boot mode that disabled it for some reason.

Reaver and Bully exploit a particular weakness that most routers that use WPA have - WPS.

Reaver and Bully will only work against a router that has WPS enabled. Even then, the processing power of the pineapple combined with the fact that most routers will lockout WPS attempts for a certain amount of time after a few failed tries means that it can still be very slow. However compared to the old-fashioned ways of bruteforcing a WPA handshake, its still fairly quick. I'd still recommend running reaver or bully from a laptop if possible.

If WPS is not enabled, then you have to resort to the old-fashioned ways. I've used wifite with some success from my pineapple (its just a python script you can run over SSH - google it.). Personally, I would advise you to read up on how WPA works (4-way handshakes etc) and how you go about cracking it before using a script. It's always better to know what the programs you use are actually doing!

Thanks Xcellerator, I really appreciate the tips. I’ve been using WIFIslax 4.8 for WEP cracking, with no problem. In addition it has a fantastic script called “YAMAS”. Highly recommended. Anyway, I started experimenting with Kali. When trying to attack routers with WPA wps Enabled, it locks me out after the 2nd or 3rd pin. (Just like you mentioned in your previous post) I’ve tried many things like time delaying in order to avoid lock outs but I have never been successful. It might be my Antenna. (TP-LINK TL-WN7200ND). For what I read it’s about a 10 hour process. For this reason I’m placing my bet on the Pineapple. Thanks!!! ps. I will take your advice and look into 4 way handshakes.