Windows PW recovery or deletion question

I used to have a live cd that would delete the windows pw, I have 2 pc's that the user needs there pw deleted or recovered, can anyone recommend a good app to accomplish this, I have tried Orphcrack allready.

Does Windows allow the UNIX trick where you simply replace the password database with accounts that you do know the passwords for? From that point on it's a quick reboot and you're golden.

Does Windows allow the UNIX trick where you simply replace the password database with accounts that you do know the passwords for? From that point on it's a quick reboot and you're golden.

Pretty sure no. Windows user passwords are based on the SAM and NTUser.dat for that user. Another option would be to use Konboot and change the passwords with that. Last I remember that does an on the fly kernel patch in memory to allow any password to login.

That sounds promising. I haven't heared of that before so I'll definately be having a look at that.

Seems to me this would be the fastest and easiest route to success.

Lol. Found it. It'll cost ya $15 to get a license so unless you manage to keep THE PIRATEs at BAY you should need to get your clients to fork over some dosh.

Edited by Cooper

That sounds promising. I haven't heared of that before so I'll definately be having a look at that.

Seems to me this would be the fastest and easiest route to success.

Lol. Found it. It'll cost ya $15 to get a license so unless you manage to keep THE PIRATEs at BAY you should need to get your clients to fork over some dosh.

http://digiex.net/downloads/download-center-2-0/applications/6498-kon-boot-password-utility-free-version.html

I use this all the time for clients.

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Edited by barry99705

I particularly like that last one. It would seem to be the least intrusive method.

The free version of Kon-boot you're linking to is about 4 years old now...