Relay - ssh, is there an easier way?

cheeto

Hi Folks,

I've been doing A LOT of reading and watching several videos on the Mark V. I'm bound to buy one SOOOOOON.

My doubts:

1st of all , I saw both Darren's & Chriswhat's videos on "relay" or "ssh". (EXCELLENT WORK GUYS!!!)

Is there an easier way to do this? (with a gui maybe?)

Must i follow these steps every time I want to connect remotely?

In Darren's explanation, regarding relay mode, must I use an UBUNTU server?

If so, will VMware save all the steps i did in order to configure it? Or must i do the whole procedure again evertime i want to connect remotely.

Sorry for all the questions.

Again, I'm beyond newbie: just now getting into KALI & WifiSlax.

Cheers,

cheeto

Cheeto,

I did a writeup last week about configuring a relay server for free on Amazon's EC2 service. I hope it helps you when your pineapple arrives.

Configuring a relay for the first time, in my experience, was both easier and harder than others have made it out to be.

There's no GUI for this kind of thing.

Once you do have your pineapple, you will almost certainly be rolling up your sleeves and mucking around in Terminal more than you expect.

I am still learning, but it seems that not all the infusions' GUIs give you the predictability and full range of features that the same program, executed from Terminal, would.

Fanbase,

Many thanks for the reply.

I think I found your writeup: https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/32210-how-to-use-pem-keycertificate-for-autossh-into-amazon-ec2-instance/

Will these steps work on Ubuntu server (running off of VMware)?

I'm sure there will be many things to learn before getting into ssh. For what I understand, ssh is one the most complicated procedures. So if you could figure it out, it should be downhill from there.

When watching Chris' tutorial, i couldn't believe how many steps where necessary just to do a ssh.

I was thinking of running ubuntu server with VMware. But if I use VMware i might have to type those procedures every time i choose to ssh. There has to be a more efficient way.

I guess i better keep reading.

Thanks again.

Cheeto

I haven't tried an ubuntu VM setup. With all due respect to Chris, I thought his tutorial was a little idiosyncratic, since (as I understand it) the setup it yields doesn't work if your network has a firewall that you can't control. An Amazon setup takes little more effort, and (for me at least) removed some of the confusion that a VM introduces. It also allows you to administer the pineapple from any network, anywhere, any time. I did have to watch episode 1112 about 20 times, though. Good luck!

Fanbase,

I went ahead and followed Chris’ tutorial.

It’s very well explained.

I partitioned my netbook and installed Windows 7 and Ubuntu server.

With Chris’ tutorial I successfully have the ssh ready to go. All I need now is my Pineapple to arrive. J

Cheers,

cheeto

• 1 month later...

I haven't tried an ubuntu VM setup. With all due respect to Chris, I thought his tutorial was a little idiosyncratic, since (as I understand it) the setup it yields doesn't work if your network has a firewall that you can't control. An Amazon setup takes little more effort, and (for me at least) removed some of the confusion that a VM introduces. It also allows you to administer the pineapple from any network, anywhere, any time. I did have to watch episode 1112 about 20 times, though. Good luck!

My tutorial was designed to help novice users set up a working (and free) relay server but, more importantly, it was designed to explain the concept behind ssh tunneling. I feel like some people are overlooking an important lesson here - My tutorial can be applied to many situations and system setups.

With some minor adjustments (if any at all), you can use my tutorial to setup your VPS/ VM on whatever cloud service you're using. Your EC2 Ubuntu instance is a VM. You shouldn't have any issues allowing inbound traffic on port 22 or port 1471. The only difference is that you're hosting your Ubuntu server VM on AWS whereas I'm hosting it on my own computer.

NOTE: Amazon provides comprehensive documentation regarding firewall configuration.