Need Help Installing Ubuntu on Windows 8.1

Polo_Mutt

Hey guys, I have been trying to install Ubuntu and after the installation is complete it asks me to restart like it should. Once it boots up again and i choose to load up the Ubuntu UI it gives me an error message. I have no idea what is wrong or how to fix it.

Link to the photo: http://tinypic.com/r/2agnosw/8

If someone knows what's wrong please comment below. Thank you.

I normally wouldn't use the Windows bootloader, but suit yourself.

That file named there. Does it exist? I suspect it's supposed to be on the C: drive, but don't know that much about Windows to say for certain.

Paste your... boot.ini I think it's called here.

I normally wouldn't use the Windows bootloader, but suit yourself.

That file named there. Does it exist? I suspect it's supposed to be on the C: drive, but don't know that much about Windows to say for certain.

Paste your... boot.ini I think it's called here.

Thank you I will try this. what do you think i should use instead of a boot loader?

Stick with the windows one if that's what you're familiar with. It does the job and can be made to boot Linux as you're trying to discover.

Most Linux installs use Grub as bootloader (or lilo for oldschool folk like myself) and set that up to chain-load the windows bootloader when you select Windows from the menu on boot. Most Grub tutorials will assume you want to dual-boot so they often have a small section describing how to set that up.

Windows 8/8.x if pre-installed, most likely has UEFI enabled in the bios, and windows is going to want that enabled to boot windows afterwards, so you'll probably need to find instructions to install Linux under UEFI where Windows 8 already exists. I had to fix a Windows 8 box for someone and repair their MBR, and disabling UEFI, windows 8 wouldn't boot since the system was pre-installed with UEFI enabled. We eventually got it so we could boot off the DVD and changed the boot order, fixed the MBR, but had to keep UEFI on to get Windows 8 to be seen and boot so first thing to check is if UEFI is enabled, and if so, look for linux install instructions under UEFI and how to chainload windows 8 from there I would assume. The whole secure boot process is a bit of a pain but supposed to protect the OS(which in my friends case didn't keep her MBR from getting whacked somehow).

From what I understand, if Win8 is installed with UEFI first, it won't boot with it disabled later.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/302680/how-do-i-install-ubuntu-alongside-uefi-enabled-windows-8-on-a-dell-xps-8500

Windows 8/8.x if pre-installed, most likely has UEFI enabled in the bios, and windows is going to want that enabled to boot windows afterwards, so you'll probably need to find instructions to install Linux under UEFI where Windows 8 already exists. I had to fix a Windows 8 box for someone and repair their MBR, and disabling UEFI, windows 8 wouldn't boot since the system was pre-installed with UEFI enabled. We eventually got it so we could boot off the DVD and changed the boot order, fixed the MBR, but had to keep UEFI on to get Windows 8 to be seen and boot so first thing to check is if UEFI is enabled, and if so, look for linux install instructions under UEFI and how to chainload windows 8 from there I would assume. The whole secure boot process is a bit of a pain but supposed to protect the OS(which in my friends case didn't keep her MBR from getting whacked somehow).

From what I understand, if Win8 is installed with UEFI first, it won't boot with it disabled later.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/302680/how-do-i-install-ubuntu-alongside-uefi-enabled-windows-8-on-a-dell-xps-8500

Thank you for the help

digip has it right i was banging my head on this for a while there are some linux distros with UEFI support out there. I am using mint and it has UEFI but you have to use grub2 because grub to has EUFI support.

Edited by mreidiv

Yeah, I think its not just grub/grub2 but also the kernel that needs to support it but I could be wrong. Looking on the Ubuntu site looks like you need 64-bit version for support as well?

Found this on Ubuntu site: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Edited by digip

I read somewhere when downloading Ubuntu that it does not play nice with Windows 8 - as indicated in much more technical language above. I used VMWare Viewer Plus and created a virtual on my Windows 8 box, but it was slower than molasses in January. Which it should not be as I've got a beefy box. I finally just installed it side-by-side on my Windows 7 laptop and it is very happy there. By the time I move on to a Windows 8 laptop hopefully Ubuntu will have solved the Windows 8 issue.

Virtual machine performance is based on your machine itself. In my case, I can run multiple VM's at the same time with no issues, doe AERO in Vista, 7, etc but I'm also running an AMD hexacore 3.2ghz Phenom II with 16GB of Ram, high end graphics card and multiple HDD's which the VM's are on separate from my host OS. It's not always the VM that is the issue but the host machine you're running on that could be your bottleneck.