GNU Radio Live CD desktop items

I'm new to the forum, so first off, HI!

Obviously, the latest toy for the Hak5 world is SDR... to be more specific, ADS-B!!

It's definately fun, I think everyone would agree. After seeing Darren fire up the LiveCD to show us python code, I went ahead and did the same. All of the command line stuff is the same, but the stupid icons on the desktop are killing me :) I can get everything else to work, except what should be obvious. The four that show up on the desktop are 'GNU Radio Companion', 'GQRX', 'Mode-S Aircraft Monitor', and 'UHD Spectrum Analyzer.'

There aren't many tutorials out there other than the ./dump1090 (which isn't included) so here's my question...

Nothing happens when I press 'Start' within the Mode-S Aircraft Monitor (desktop) program. Does anyone know how to use 'Mode-S Aircraft Monitor' on the GNU Radio Live CD?

Thanks everyone!

So, just FYI, the solution to said topic was a permissions issue. USB permissions were not set correctly when the DVD image was made. type 'sudo bash' to become root and then try to run the 'modes_gui' which is the command for the desktop shortcut. This will allow the system to recognize the dongle and you're good to go. Hope this helps someone.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just log on to X as root?

Sure, you could do more damage, but it's a live cd and I assume you have some clue as to what you're doing.