Newbie question AP name wifi pineapple

nabs

Hello,

I was wondering. If the test person sees that he's connected to his home network while he's not near his home he could (should) be wondering what is going on.

Is there a way to use the probe requests, let the device think ok this is my trusted network and let the device show a different AP name.

For example:

In McDonalds a smartphone would send out a probe request: Hello home network are you around? The pineapple would answer: sure, here I am, connect to me. The user would see his home network connected.

What if the pineapple could say: "sure, here I am and btw my name is now 'wifi McDonalds'".

Would that be possible?

Thx

It doesn't work quite like that. Think of it as a big queue at the dmv or a similar government agency. Every customer (AP) there has picked a number and is waiting for that number to come up.

Every so often the person behind the desk (Smartphone) hits a button and you hear a loud *ding* as the next number in line is called to the desk.

What you're trying to do with the pineapple is to, at the very next *ding*, run to the desk and say, "yeah, that's me".

The person behind the desk knows who you are and will get very mad with you if it would be discovered that you're in fact *not* that individual. But so long as you stick with the plan, you're good to go.

So, no, what you want can't be done. But many people automatically connect to 'known' networks so they won't be informed that their, say, home wifi was encountered at the local choke'n'puke. Just that they now have Wifi. For a lot of people, that's all they care about.

Edited by Cooper