Help with clarification in personal project fedora

joey-world

Hello friends

Long time I didn't come by so I figure to stop by to get some help figuring out some questions in regards Fedora 20.

The reason why I am initially doing this is because is part of a project for the school and that is the operative system the teacher decided for us to use for the project.

So I downloaded the iso, loaded it into a vmware everything cool.

The project goes as follows;

-Install VMware == done

-Install Fedora latest version (20 desktop) === done

-Install DHCP to use as a server (odd) == done, needs configuring

-Install DNS server to use as a name resolution in the network (odd)

-install Apache

-create a small website to proof the concept of apache

-install SSH

-install FTP

-install Snort (Wow)

so with this in mind comes my first question to you guys

1 Question

I wanted to clarify in the forum if all those roles, and tasks can be done in fedora desktop instead of using a linux server?

2 question

Now, while installing the DHCP role in the fedora, I ran into a redundancy problem. My laptop is running ubuntu. Is connected to "home" wireless which is my home, managed by a router with DHCP. I could technically tell the router to stop leasing IP and shutdown the DHCP role in the router, for the Fedora role to take over. I don't want to do it because my wife and kids would kill me LOL

So I thought, I could just do a subnet. Ah brillian idea, problem is how would I go ahead and do that? (I am as good as a monkey with fedora) how would I have to set up the network in the vmware to do the subnet and still have access to the internet in fedora so I can install the packages and all that good stuff? I am assuming it has to do with IPTABLES in ubuntu and fedora, I am not totally sure how though.

Thank you so much for your answers.

yes fedora can handle all of those roles. Matter of fact sounds very similar to a class i had in my associates class at itt.

As far as the dhcp issue you can set your vm to host only and also the other vm's you will be using and point the vms to the vm with the dhcp server installed in it.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I never like to disclose personal information but ah WTH, I am attending to ITT Technical Institute as well, let's just keep the rest secret :P

The reason why the question came up in the first place, is because unlike your associates, for some reason they didn't teach us fedora back then that well besides permissions and file handling, nothing of systems administration.

I am very versatile with ubuntu, but fedora I don't like it to begin with haha.

Now, If I set up the DHCP and set the vmware to host only, that would solve indeed the problem of the DHCP interfering with the local Wifi, but that also will unable me to connect to the internet in the vmware, which is something I need. Do you have any other solution, or is there another way to set the vmware in Host only and still being able to connect to the internet?

Thank you for further assistance

just install the vmware tools in the vm's and you can drag and drop files to the vm's WHy do you need the internet? updates files? not clear on the solution to give you till you clarify that.

I'm thinking 2 network interfaces (set up your vm as a router sort-of). One is on the wifi and gets its ip from there, the other is the domain controlled by the vm (=other subnet) and is serviced by the vm. Problem is how to test. It'll be hard for a client to connect to *only* the second nic of your VM. The DHCP broadcast goes to everything connected to the nic so unless your DHCP beats the wifi to the punch or the wifi is set to ignore your client's mac address, you're sol.

Difference between desktop and server is the software initially available. Nothing is stopping you from installing server software on a desktop and vice versa, but since most linux servers are remotely managed they for instance typically don't run X to name one. Unless the curicculum is tightly bound to an OS incarnation ("We teach Fedora here, not Linux") I don't see why Ubuntu wouldn't work, if that's what you're more comfortable with. Talk it over with the teacher and be prepared to spend a little more time finding the Ubuntu equivalent of a Fedora program or the location or name of a config file (and for personal benefit, try to figure out why each chose to put the file *there*). To me, that sounds a lot better format for teaching someone who already has some knowledge under his belt.

just install the vmware tools in the vm's and you can drag and drop files to the vm's WHy do you need the internet? updates files? not clear on the solution to give you till you clarify that.

I need the internet to install the packages like, SNORT, apache, dhcp, DNS, updates, SSH, File server, and test it after worth that indeed it works.

I'm thinking 2 network interfaces (set up your vm as a router sort-of). One is on the wifi and gets its ip from there, the other is the domain controlled by the vm (=other subnet) and is serviced by the vm. Problem is how to test. It'll be hard for a client to connect to *only* the second nic of your VM. The DHCP broadcast goes to everything connected to the nic so unless your DHCP beats the wifi to the punch or the wifi is set to ignore your client's mac address, you're sol.

That sounds like a viable solution, it might need testing as you said, because the dhcp may kick in the one connected to the wireless. I think I'll try that, nothing to loose right? n.n

Unless the curicculum is tightly bound to an OS incarnation ("We teach Fedora here, not Linux") I don't see why Ubuntu wouldn't work, if that's what you're more comfortable with. Talk it over with the teacher and be prepared to spend a little more time finding the Ubuntu equivalent of a Fedora program or the location or name of a config file (and for personal benefit, try to figure out why each chose to put the file *there*). To me, that sounds a lot better format for teaching someone who already has some knowledge under his belt.

I think I mentioned it. I would rather ubuntu, but the teacher wants STRICLY fedora, which I hate. If I was using ubuntu, I honestly wouldn't be asking here how to do it, because I already know ubuntu :P

Kinda curious now why you would _hate_ Fedora. I don't use it either, but how much of a drag can it be? And after school should you want to make a buck maintaining Linux expect to have very little say about the OS flavor used, especially in existing machines. Companies tend to go for the versions with the better support contracts, and that happens to often be RedHat.

Okay, so following previous training I had I decided to do the following to try to get around the problem...

I installed in the vmware a second interface,

one will be connecting to the internet

the second one will be a subnet.

After this, in theory it would be a matter of routing the traffic from the subnet to the one connected to the internet.

I am having a little struggle with it but it should work

I once tried to use fedora on my laptop, and for some reason it gave me problems. Another time I had a class on fedora, and it was giving problems to everyone in the vmware. Now I have fedora again in another class, and is giving me problems, so that is why I hate fedora.

ok but itt only uses fedor because it is base off of red hat, they will not make exceptions i have tried. also i have not found a problem in fedor that could'nt be solved if properly researched.

I need the internet to install the packages like, SNORT, apache, dhcp, DNS, updates, SSH, File server, and test it after worth that indeed it works.

just use the vm on bridged replicate till you have installed everything then host only. no need for all that extra routing. it might give you some insite in to routing but KISS Keep it simple stupid dont make it into a big project if you dont have to.

halfway into being able to route the traffic, I got already two interfaces up and running, and still able to access the internet