[Support] ADS-B Tracker

Darren Kitchen

I can't believe how easy this was to setup vs. me playing around with GnuRadio and the like. Wicked Pissa!

With the crappy antenna that came with the SDR (R820T SDR & DVB-T) Here in Saint Johns, FL I get about 60+ mi. of reception sitting in my living room! Now I can't wait to setup a nice antenna on the roof to it! LOL. Fun stuff. Nice to see my father-in-law coming in for a landing.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't believe how easy this was to setup vs. me playing around with GnuRadio and the like. Wicked Pissa!

With the crappy antenna that came with the SDR (R820T SDR & DVB-T) Here in Saint Johns, FL I get about 60+ mi. of reception sitting in my living room! Now I can't wait to setup a nice antenna on the roof to it! LOL. Fun stuff. Nice to see my father-in-law coming in for a landing.

I'm stuck, what's the firmware version are you using?

Regards.

Can I port the dump1090 data to another program (Virtual Radar) runing in the house on my windows machine? VR is a great program, Ive been using it with an antenna at 50 ft on my Ham Radio tower.... I get plots from 100-140 miles away, but I think I'm in trouble with the 100+ feet of coax from the tower top to the rtl dongle in the house.... I would love to move a pineapple and dongle up there and wifi the signals back to the house.... Can do???? :mellow: BUMP? Another bump.... hello, anyone alive here?

Edited by W7PP

• 2 weeks later...

:grin:

Got my Pineapple today... took longer to install firmware than to get the tracker up and running... Question... how can I make changes to this infusion? If it's not open, then I have some suggestions... (1), Remember the map settings when leaving the “Map View”... (2) Allow use of the command line to start up dump1090 (maybe in the “Configuration” tab)...and.... (3) A setup page for the streaming of “beast” data to the outside world via a port on the Pineapple. OH and one more thing.... update the List view page every (x) as listed in the Config tab....

:smile: Thanks, W7PP

Works Great. Getting around 60 miles range with the tiny standard anntena.

Mad Pierre, what settings/freq are you using in the UK?

I have set mine up and it all seems to be working (daemon enabled, map is visible in my browser etc.) - just I haven't picked up any aircraft so far.

Cheers. :)

Scrub that, it was a poor RF reception issue. My office has thick walls and a metal door (converted garage) so is quite well shielded, I moved the antenna closer to a window and made sure it was properly vertical. I'm now picking up aircraft up to a range of about 50 miles.

Great infusion - thanks! :)

Edited by Trolljegeren

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just a quick question, i have just installed the ADS-B Tracker infusion on my Wifi Pineapple and when i click start dump1090 it says its started but when i go on the list or map view it says i need to start the daemon. Am i doing something wrong?

I am new to the forums, and the Hak5 community, and have found all your information very useful in my times of need.

Thanks,

Glad it's working for you... I wasn't really trying to be an ass, I just wasn't sure how many people might buy a Mark 5 and assume because there is an infusion that it natively has the capability of ADS-B tracking without the SDR.

What are you talking about? SSh into the pineapple and run the commands just like you would on a laptop.

Look at the "Config" screen of the infusion... I don't see any way to add, change or edit the way that dump1090 runs... Did I miss something? I would like to have something like "--quiet --net-bo-port 31012 and so on.... (not sure I got the syntax correct in my example....but) I want to listen to the output on a windows machine running VirtualRadar Server over wifi....

Darren: Just looked at episode 1614 :wub: .... What a nice way to answer the question I asked on this topic. I haven't tried it yet, but can you change the startup config of dump1090 while using your infusion, or are we stuck with the "default" settings? You really don't need to have yet another episode to let me know the answer.... just reply here :rolleyes: ... Thanks again for the episode! (1614).... :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!!

I'm somewhat new to this (just got my pineapple yesterday), and I just want to clarify, I need to get the SDR and set it up on my PC in order for this infusion to work?

Love the pineapple btw!

Thanks!!

You need the SDR dongle, but you do not need a PC. You just need a WiFi Pineapple MKV and the infusion and it'll all work :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Does anyone know what version of dump1090 is on the pineapple? It appears to be suffering from this issue https://github.com/antirez/dump1090/issues/13

Thanks

Kevin

I'll make sure that our slightly modified version of dump1090 (to get raw data out in an easy way) gets this fix in the next firmware version! Thanks for the report.

In the future, please make sure to submit a bug report. We are guaranteed to see those and it helps us keep track of everything.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne