Still looking for SDR on "normal" Debian Distro.

As much as I love Kali and as easy as it is to use the pre-installed Gqrx that comes with it I'd still like to be able to get Gqrx working on a "normal" Distro like SolydX or Point Linux.

I've even tried to install SDR# using PlayonLinux (which uses WINE) in my SolydX install with no luck at all.

Is there any easy way to get SDR working under a standard Debian install or am I going to be stuck using Kali. Main reason I ask is because I'm moving to SSD's in my #1 and Jr. and they're only going to be 32GB so I'd like as light of a Distro as I can get. My #2 will still have a 120GB HDD but I'll be running SolydX on it and I'd like to move to SolydX on the other two as well but I'd also like to be able to play with my SDR dongle and even get ADS-B working.

Why is something that should be so simple being so hard to do for me?

Couldn't you add "testing" (or whatever. It's been a while since I dabbled with Debian) to the list of accepted repo's, install the program and then remove the repo again?

SolydX Home Edition IS "Testing" and I've looked in Synaptic and Gqrx isn't there. I've ask over at the SolydXK forums if the Devs could add Gqrx to their Repos so that it'd be a simple task of checking the box and doing the install. Guess I'll have to wait and see if they add it or not.

In the mean time I'll be stuck using Kali and hoggin' up space on my SSD(when it gets here) just so I can have SDR support.

It's not an option to compile a package of it yourself? Could you install the kali package using something like alien?

If you get a chance give this thread a read:

https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/31717-got-my-sdr-kit-now-what/

You'll see that trying to compile from a .tar.gz or git hub was an epic fail on my part. I wish I knew how to simply transfer the SDR stuff from Kali to a USB stick so I could then transfer it over to another Debian Distro but I just don't have that kind of knowledge in my Linux journey at the moment.

Continued in the other thread. And if you consider that an epic fail, you've never experienced one. Sure, things progressed slowly, but step by step you were getting there.

Continued in the other thread. And if you consider that an epic fail, you've never experienced one. Sure, things progressed slowly, but step by step you were getting there.

Oh, I know all about Epic Fails, LOL. Like the time I used "sudo apt-get autoremove" to clean up my system and instead of just taking out orphaned stuff it started eating the entire install, yep, I've had a few Epic Fails in my short, just over a year long Linux adventure, LOL.