Whitelist - Blacklist

septic

Updated to 1.1.0 March 17th ---Will someone go into detail on what the following is for and how to use them

Whitelist

Blacklist

Whats with the new button that allows switch from white to black I am F'N confused ---Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Updated to 1.1.0 March 17th ---Will someone go into detail on what the following is for and how to use them

Whitelist

Blacklist

Whats with the new button that allows switch from white to black I am F'N confused ---Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

This may not be entirely accurate but the information below is how the two list appear to work from what I can determine.

Whitelist:

The whitelist appears to be a list of SSIDs in which you want to the pineapple to mimic.

Example: There are 3 SSIDs announced nearby, WIFI_1, WIFI_2, WIFI_3. You add WIFI_1 to your Karma whitelist since you only want the pineapple to mimic the SSID WIFI_1. Any SSIDs not on the whitelist will be ignored, the Pineapple will not mimic those SSIDs.

Blacklist:

I believe this is a list of clients you do not want to connect to the Pineapple. For example, you want to add your own device(s) to blacklist to prevent your own WIFI device(s) from auto connecting to the Pineapple when it's deployed.

Hope that helps

Where are you talking about? Karma configuration or in the Jammer configuration?

Edit:

Pulled this quote from Sebkinne over in the Mark 4 section...

"You want to blacklist YOUR laptops / phones MAC. This means that Karma will NOT act on your MAC. If you were to whitelist, then it will only work on clients INSIDE the whitelist."

So the old Black is "bad" and White is "good" paradigm is not accurate. I think of Blacklisting as "do not act upon this list" and white as "only act upon this list".

Edited by thesugarat

The way it works on the WiFi Pineapple MKV is as follows:

SSID:

Karma can be either in white or in blacklist mode. Note that this is only relevant for SSIDs.

Whitelist mode: Only SSIDs in the list will be karma'd.

Blacklist mode: The SSIDs in the list will NOT be karma'd.

MAC:

Karma only has one list related to MACs. This is the MAC blacklist.

Any MAC inside this blacklist will NOT be karma'd.

That's about it.

Also note that we didn't add a new button in 1.1.0, so I'm unsure of what you are talking about..

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

He may be talking about the button in Jammer that allows you to switch between white or black.... Also, can you put the White/Blacklist info you provided into the Commonly Asked Questions post you have sticked and locked? That may help others. :)

Sebkinne,

I did notice a strange behavior with using the Blacklist SSID function the other day. The AP that I Blacklisted had an apostrophe in it ... "Stacy's Network" It accepted it but it does not appear in the list when you hit the button. In the Karma log it appeared to be checking the name against the APs it was seeing but it had slashes in it "\Stacy\s Network\". So at the very least the "show SSIDs on the list" function does not handle names with apostorphes correctly.

I can test further and add it to the bug tracker if you like.

Edited by thesugarat

Sebkinne,

I did notice a strange behavior with using the Blacklist SSID function the other day. The AP that I Blacklisted had an apostrophe in it ... "Stacy's Network" It accepted it but it does not appear in the list when you hit the button. In the Karma log it appeared to be checking the name against the APs it was seeing but it had slashes in it "\Stacy\s Network\". So at the very least the "show SSIDs on the list" function does not handle names with apostorphes correctly.

I can test further and add it to the bug tracker if you like.

The issue has been located and fixed. We will be releasing 1.1.1 soon, this fix included.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Glad you caught that one... Now I have a new one for you in the same region.

Today while trying to work with the pineapple I couldn't get my laptop to connect to the AP. It kept getting denied right away. Was driving me crazy until I remembered that I was playing with black/whitelisitng the other day for this thread and I had put my laptops MAC addy into the Blacklist for Karma. So Kama Tile, Karma Configuration tab, and Client Blacklisting. I checked and yes my MAC was still in there, but this entire time I wasn't running Karma. So, I ask you, if I put a MAC in the Client Blacklist for Karma, why was it keeping my laptop from connecting to the Pineapple when Karma was off? As soon as I removed it from there my laptop was able to connect. So really it turned out to be a Pineapple Blacklist not a Karma Blacklist....