SDR tranceiver almost out

Here is a cool SDR tranceiver almost out in production:

To operate on most bands, you would need a ham (FCC) license in the US or an OfCom ( http://www.ofcom.org.uk/ ) license in the UK.

It is cool to window shop and gaze at, however.

http://ecom.eladit.com/FDM-DUO-1/en

Since this box transmits on a wide range of frequencies, unlike the realtek dongles, these can get you in a _LOT_ of trouble if you use them in a band you are not licensed for.

-Fuzzy Bunny

Edited by fuzzy_bunny

• 3 weeks later...

I think a transmitter that is able to transmit over a wide area of the spectrum and will be available to Joe Public is a terrible idea.

I know responsible people will buy them and those will only transmit where they are allowed to but we all know their are those out there who will but it just to cause issues.

For example you cannot transmit on the aircraft band 108 - 137 MHz but their will be someone who does it anyways and next thing we know the FCC with Homeland security is banning the boxs and dongles all together in the US.

I think a transmitter that is able to transmit over a wide area of the spectrum and will be available to Joe Public is a terrible idea.

I know responsible people will buy them and those will only transmit where they are allowed to but we all know their are those out there who will but it just to cause issues.

For example you cannot transmit on the aircraft band 108 - 137 MHz but their will be someone who does it anyways and next thing we know the FCC with Homeland security is banning the boxs and dongles all together in the US.

Well on the flip side it may encourage people to encrypt what they do over the wireless.

Take Wifi back in the early 2000s was an open mess. These days Wifi is a lot better than it was because people could explore Wifi using the access that some more open cards allowed.

Joe public can already buy transivers that allow this. Just SDR makes it easier to explore. So if they bands these dongle you would have to look at banning TVs as they have TV tuners in them and a lot of Military Radios are currently SDR transcievers so would make access for the milatry harder.

Encrypt and/or sign the transmissions and you would cut out a lot of the abuse as you filter more effectivily.

Though that said the FAA currently don't seem that concerned with the ADB-B issues that renderman has highlighted

wideband transmitters already exist as do sdr transmitters. A good starting place is the raspberry PI. it will put out a dirty transmission from 0-250Mhz(look up PIFM) at mW (about 10 I believe) couple this with filtering to stop the harmonics and an rtl 2832u for RX and hey presto - a bit of scripting to switch the TX/RX and the addition of a mic input..... you can also use minimodem or PSK31 very easily. 10mW is alot of power into the right antenna at a good location.