hardware to flash new U-Boot on AP-121u/Hornet-UB? (SPI/Jtag)

spants

Hi

While flashing a new U-Boot (tftp method) and erasing the old U-Boot, I had a BSOD and now my ap-121u is dead. The power light is on but the other leds are dim and do not flicker.

I understand that I need to use a programmer to flash a new U-Boot and that the voltage maybe 2.5v on the Jtag points.

Has anyone rescued one before?. Is there a low cost method of doing this?. I can get a new hornet-ub for about £25 (I am in the UK) but I would prefer to fix if I can!.

Tony

Edited by spants

ok, I have fixed it :-)

A lot of learning along the way. This is how I did it:

1) I bought one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221169896344

- Notice that it is more expensive than a new Hornet board but I wanted to try and fix it. It will come in useful for failed BIOS flashes too!

- If you buy the sp8a programmer elsewhere, make sure that you get the little chip holders and the In System Programming Cable. The clip maybe worthwhile but I couldnt get it to work on the ap121u.

2) I didnt know enough about In System Programming so I unsoldered the flash chip (you may be able to do this in circuit instead)

3) MAKE SURE that you dump the chip before you do anything

4) Remember that I screwed up the U-Boot?. I found the U-Boot file: u-boot_ap121_V1.1.5.bin

5) Load this into the chip - MAKE SURE that the flypro software is not set to clear unused bytes

6) Verify

7) carefully solder the chip back on. I lifted a track and had to repair. (Use a small soldering iron or one that is built for smt chips and a magnifying glass)

8) You should be able to boot the ap121u