Basic Pineapple Questions

locks180

Hey everybody,

I have a question about the pineapple. I am looking into buying one but have a couple of questions about the extent of the tools.

So I get that part about the "Yes Man" aspect. But I don't understand how you can set it up with a battery and leave it for a couple of days. Are the tools on board automated? What is the extent of the tools? What information can you actually collect if you are not actively monitoring it on site with Kali or BT running on the network?

What about sites with SSL? or HTTPS? Can it do anything to those without having an attacking computer sitting on the network actively doing something?

Totally new to the pineapple, and looking to learn more.

Basically a battery pack is connected and can be left running that way for a few days (with a 10,000mah type). I haven't actually deployed it but essentailly it can be preconfigured to do selected tasks before hand without having to do anything at the drop zone.

SSLStrip was getting caught in reload loops when I bought it last month where the same login page would repeat, though the credentails were being captured. Now it seems to be down entirely for most sites. DNSspoof might still work for whatever you want to do with SSL/HTTPS, if you're good at writing code to mirror the sites you want tying to target.

Anyone remember the terrible CBS new episode that Darren did where they twisted the hell out of everything?

He was showing off a way of grepping out passwords and credit card numbers with the pineapple, I think automatically... Anyone know what program he was using for it/how to automate it?

Hey Locks! Welcome to the community.

I suggest you wait, please see my thread: https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/32013-pineapple-ap-is-incredibly-slowinconsistent

The Mark V is an interesting piece of hardware, but it's going through some growing pains. In short:

1) RTL8187 is limited to 11Mbps in perfect conditions. Reason: Investigating

2) SD Card reader resets during a file transfer (Every 32 seconds in my case). Reason: Investigating

3) etc

The problem has been acknowledged and the Hak5 team is investigating. There is no ETA on a fix as of now, nor is the exact cause understood yet. Please see my thread for more details.

locks180,

Despite what mw3demo calls "growing pains" the Mark 5 is a great piece of kit and has been since launch. I don't use it as a home router and how I use it is not impacted by what he's talking about in his post. I suspect others are in the same situation. Only 2 days ago Darren Kitchen stated they are going to research that specific issue and see what they come up with. Apparently 48 hours isn't fast enough and he'd rather tell them how to run their business. But everybody is entitled to their opinion. So, buy the pineapple or not... it's your choice. I've had a lot of fun using and learning with mine. The user manual is a free PDF you can read through before buying and then there are a few of the Pineapple University videos to watch as well as Youtube videos for some of the infusions. And of course read through this forum back to front. And then do it again.... :) Lots of great info on good and bad things you may run into while using.

mw3demo,

While I appreciate you brining that issue to the Hak5 team's attention, as a fix will just make the Mark 5 even better for everyone, in my opinion you've now crossed a line and have chosen to try to actively discourage people from purchasing a Pineapple. And you've done it in their own forum... Again, just my opinion but that makes you a troll.

I would have to agree with thesugarat, I have not had any issues with the mk5 that have not been either user error, or easily solved by looking through the forums. It is an incredible piece of hardware with tons of applications. I suggest you pick one up. :D

You've got to remember that Hak5 is composed a very small number of people. They aren't some huge corporation that are going to role our bug fixes within hours of issues being reported.

I've had my pineapple for months now and yeah I've had a couple of issues with Karma but not since the latest firmware (1.1.0).

I'd encourage anyone interested in WiFi exploration to pick up a pineapple.

I agree completely.

The Mark V is a great tool. It might have a bug here or there, but Darren and Seb are constantly working on improving it, and show no signs of giving up. It's a community driven tool, that everyone is helping make better by posting the bug reports, and everyone, not just Darren and Seb are doing their best to fix and make this even better.

The pineapple will do a lot of things, and is not geared towards just one aspect. There are a lot of thing you can do, once you have all the traffic flowing through you.

I definitely give it a buy, but it's your call.

Hey thesugarcat,

That's fine, I respect your opinion. Here is mine:

If I sell you a router advertised as 802.11g, and you turn it on and get 802.11b (at best), what would you do? This could have been an honest mistake, and oversights during the product development/QA. When it gets acknowledged, and they continue to sell a 802.11b router as 802.11g, (Simplifying here) this is called mis-selling, and that is what I wanted to stop. I was very happy with Darrens reply, and liked his post. When the shop didn't update after 48 hours, along with a vague reply from Seb, I lost it. I am not going to repeat my feelings here, you can read those at the other thread.

As long as he is aware of the current limitations and is happy to purchase then great. I would rather wait to purchase the product as described. If I am being called a troll by making sure future customers know exactly what they are purchasing, so be it.

I don't really think mw3demo is trolling at all.

I think he is genuinely trying to help people make an informed decision, by stating facts.

He is a customer that has spent hard earned money on a product, and is disappointed with some of the problems with the product.

I don't want to be attacked or berated for making this post either.

I also am a customer experiencing some of the same problems.

Is this how hak5 deals with customers? To belittle them if they point out the problems?

I surely hope not.

I don't really think mw3demo is trolling at all.

I think he is genuinely trying to help people make an informed decision, by stating facts.

He is a customer that has spent hard earned money on a product, and is disappointed with some of the problems with the product.

I don't want to be attacked or berated for making this post either.

I also am a customer experiencing some of the same problems.

Is this how hak5 deals with customers? To belittle them if they point out the problems?

I surely hope not.

I agree with this.

My experience with the hakshop has been less than positive, but I get what they are trying to do. A small group of people trying to fund what they love to do, not get rich from it. Looking at the pineapple, the components involved, the software etc.. I would have been happy to pay $200 for it 'if' it was bug free and had felt the right to complain if it had problems (my opinion). For them to sell it at $99, I can't see much room for profit here. My pineapple came with a dead sd card, I had another and didn't want to make a big deal about something that cost 2 bux. The antennas are advertised as 6dbi but just happen to look like and are the exact size of other 2dbi antennas on the internet (I have not done any testing, just opinion). My radios don't work as advertised either but you know what? I lerned more about Linux and pen testing concepts than using my Kali laptop alone. I look at the pineapple almost as the "Heath Kit" of pen testing.

I also get that Hak5 is also "Hak5 LLC" and comes with further responsibilities than just having fun and funding a show. A business big or small, an unhappy customer has a right to complain and Hak5 has provided us with a forum to do it in.

Back on topic..

Look at the pineapple as one tool in your belt. Learn how it works and you can get around most these bugs. When you find a bug, report it and hopefully someone will listen.

Also, the more famous Darren gets, the more people will listen, the more people will create countermeasures for the Pineapple, the more we will have to find new ways to have fun fucking with people. A vicious cycle.

Edited by yabasoya

locks180,

I apologize for your post getting thread jacked... Unfortunately I have not seen the video you are talking about so I don't think I can answer your questions.

mw3demo, xrad, and yabasoba,

First let me state that I am also a customer and I have no affiliation at all with Hak5 or anyone else here personally. I come here to learn and help and be a part of this project. That's it. I've tried to make it very clear that my posts are my personal opinion. It's not that I don't understand your example of purchasing a router, I just see it differently. You didn't buy a router you bought a Pineapple. To me there is a definite difference between the two. There are several applications for the pineapple that don't require Client Mode or a higher speed than what it currently provides. Is there a difference in the speed it can handle and the a/b/g capability that is advertised? Yes. You made your point in the other post. It was accepted and they stated they were working on it. I have no issue with that whatsoever... it's a perfect use of the forums and I did not berate or belittle in any way for pointing out a problem. That original post helps people make an informed decision about making a purchase or not if they bother to read the forums and do research beforehand. Coming into posts like this and trying to dissuade people from purchasing a pineapple is what I have an issue with. Taking it as a personal mission to tell new people who post here about one specific issue is not helping them to make an informed decision. That's playing cheerleader for your own pet problem. As I tried to indicate, if you read this forum you will find other items (eth0 port or karma issues) that might actually affect what you want to do with the pineapple and your decision to purchase or not. This is what separates his actions from yours. Darren has posted a great response/update in the original thread. As usual his post is as professional as it is informative. And I am not trying to detract from that response or stir up shit. If you feel as a customer you have the right to do this then also as a customer I take it as my right to call bullshit where I see it. They can ban me as quickly as anyone else.

I never even thought you worked for Hak5, it's pretty obvious.

...if they bother to read the forums and do research beforehand.

You can't have an arrogant attitude like that with customers, and assume they read this entire forum before making a purchase. Sorry, that is absolutely the wrong attitude. You have to assume they know nothing and literally walk them through it. They might watch a YouTube video/read a blog and head straight for the shop. That is why the shop has a bunch of information on the Pineapple.

Darren gave an excellent response 12 hours later that covered everything, it was a great response.

I take it as my right to call bullshit where I see it.

You are getting upset about what exactly? That I was trying to inform customers of a problem that is now getting the Hak5 team to rip apart Mark Vs, use jumper leads, troubleshoot, etc? Feel free to PM me if you want to continue this discussion.

Locks,

I haven't tried it myself, something like this might do it.

egrep -wi --color 'pass|pwd|user|etc' sslstrip.log

I don't know how the infusion is programmed. I'll give it a shot over the weekend and see if it works. You are better off taking the log/pcap off the pineapple and processing it with a separate script

Edited by mw3demo

locks180,

For the most part, logs are kept which can be retrieved at a later time. However, you could also remotely monitor the pineapple via ssh tunnel. My pineapple is currently deployed in an undisclosed location about 20 minutes drive from my home (been there for almost 12 hours now). It's tethered to my prepaid Android and is set to automatically connect to my ssh server upon boot, allowing me to monitor the pineapple via web interface and make any needed changes or retrieve logs.

See, I can't really do that with a full desktop or laptop computer, at least not as unattended. This thing fits in the palm of my hand and looks totally badass in an attache case. I'm not even using it to it's full potential, either. I have no complaints. It does what I want it to do.

If you have any issues after purchasing, you can rest assured you'll get the help you need. I've seen some exemplary customer service as well as community assistance in any matters. It's been tremendously reassuring.

Awesome. Thanks Seb for bringing it back to my questions.

And thanks to everyone who has voiced their opinions, and ideas for uses of the pineapple.

One more stupid question... Where can I find the PDF for the pineapple? I have looked all over wifipineapple.com and can't find it anywhere...

Awesome. Thanks Seb for bringing it back to my questions.

And thanks to everyone who has voiced their opinions, and ideas for uses of the pineapple.

One more stupid question... Where can I find the PDF for the pineapple? I have looked all over wifipineapple.com and can't find it anywhere...

That I can help you with: https://wifipineapple.com/mk5/booklet.pdf

Best Regards,

Sebkinne